Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, has revealed that a total of $2 million (about N800 million) and N17 million were stolen from his palace during the #EndSARS protest that rocked the nation in October 2020.
Speaking at the commissioning of Glover Hall Memorial in Lagos state on Wednesday March 3, Akiolu stated that the loss the state suffered during the crisis is so enormous than in any other part of the country.
The Monarch further said that those who committed the offence would not have done that if they knew the implication.
In October, there were demonstrations against police brutality across the country, organised under the #EndSARS protest.
The protest reached its peak when security operatives believed to be soldiers opened fire at protesters at Lekki tollgate on October 20, Lagos state.
Following the shooting incident, Lagos state recorded wanton destruction of lives and properties by hoodlums.
The crisis that erupted in the state saw the invasion of the palace of the monarch, with men and women carting away any item in sight, Some persons even swam in the pool inside the palace.
Akiolu’s staff of office was also seized, and a young man was later seen in a video on social media, running away with the item.
However, military officers intervened and Akiolu was rescued from the palace, while buildings within the premises were vandalised.
Shortly after, the staff of office was found and ritual rites were performed to welcome it back to the palace.
Now speaking about the mob invasion of his palace and other destruction that took place in the state, the monarch said those who committed the offence would not have done that if they knew the implication.
I will support anything that will move Lagos forward. I have appealed to the Federal Government to assist Lagos with what we have suffered. The incident that happened here from October 20th to 23rd is so saddening.
The destruction we suffered in Lagos is so enormous than in any other part of the country.
Many buildings were burnt, including vehicles used to generate income. I can now say publicly that they stole away from my palace $2 million and N17 million.
Those who committed the offence would not have done that if they knew the implication. But as a father, I won’t place any curse on them.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Wizkid And Tems in “Essense” Visuals
- Peruzzi has finally released his highly anticipated second studio album tagged, “Rum & Boogie.”
- Arsenal 1-1 Slavia Prague: Late Holes leveller leaves Gunners with work to do
- Granada 0-2 Manchester United: Rashford and Fernandes give Red Devils edge in Europa League tie
- Bayern Munich 2-3 Paris Saint-Germain: Mbappe double stuns holders
- Porto 0-2 Chelsea: Blues put one foot in semi-finals thanks to Mount and Chilwell
- Mavin Records and Jonzing World premieres the official music video to Rema‘s latest smash hit single “Bounce“.
- Ondo State Born Ayodeji Nelson Daodu awarded at the Erasmus university
- Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: Vinicius pounces on defensive lapses as Los Blancos take first-leg lead
- Manchester City 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Foden edges Guardiola’s men ahead in breathless finale
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes