At least 30 people were killed in northeast Borno after an improvised explosive device went off on a bridge, according to a Reuters report.
The bomb detonated at roughly 5 p.m. on Monday, January 6, 2020, on a crowded bridge in the market town of Gamboru that leads into neighboring Cameroon.
Witnesses in the market town said more than 35 injured people were taken to the local hospital in the wake of the attack.
“It is an unfortunate day for us to witness this frustrating and devastating incident in our community,” one eyewitness called Modu Ali Said was quoted as saying by Reuters.
“I just heard a loud sound of explosions, before I realized, I saw many of our friends and colleagues were killed,” Said added.
The military is yet to respond to press inquiries on the attack.
Victim rescued by the Nigerian Army troops from Boko Haram captivity in Borno on 16/11/2019 (NAN)
Two sources with the Civilian Joint Task Force, a group of citizens formed to fight Boko Haram, confirmed the attack to Reuters and the early death toll estimates.
No group immediately took responsibility for the attack. However, Boko Haram and its Islamic State faction, ISWAP, are active in the area.
Nigeria has been waging a war against Boko Haram since 2009. The terrorist sect craves a hard-line Islamic state from the northeastern region of Nigeria.
More than 50,000 people have been killed, millions have been displaced and thousands held hostage by the terrorists since the conflict began.
President Buhari and army chief Tukur Buratai have often boasted that the sect has been technically defeated, even though Boko Haram is still capable of mounting soft target attacks and abducting civilians.
On Monday, Borno Governor Babagana Zulum took on soldiers who were collecting N1,000 from motorists at checkpoints; at a time the terrorists were operating unchecked in the neighborhood.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- NNPC blames #EndSARS Protests for fuel scarcity
- Ex-IG Ibrahim Idris returns to village as new wife takes family assets in Abuja
- FG Declares Thursday As Public Holiday To Mark Celebration Of Eid Mawlid
- We must regulate social media before it destroys us – Lai Mohammed
- Shakhtar Donetsk 0-0 Inter: Lukaku scoring streak ends in Kiev stalemate
- Lokomotiv Moscow 1-2 Bayern Munich: Kimmich spares defending champions’ blushes with late winner
- Bartomeu resigns as Barcelona president
- Sanwo-Olu speaks to CNN on Lekki Toll Shooting, #EndSARS Protest & Lagos Judicial Panel
- Banky W, 2Baba, Timi Dakolo, Waje, Seun Kuti call for a better Nigeria With new single ‘Talk And Do’
- Coman wants another Bayern treble – but this time with fans
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World