No less than 11 persons have died of Lassa Fever in Edo State in the latest outbreak of the hemorrhagic disease with about 45 confirmed cases recorded in the State.
The disclosure was made by the State Commissioner for Health, Dr. David Osifo, at a press briefing to announce a successful stem cell transplant carried out by a private hospital, Celltek Healthcare Medical Centre, in Benin, the State capital.
Osifo further revealed that the recorded cases were receiving treatment at the Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital.
He said: “In terms of the State, there are about 45 confirmed cases from Edo State. At the initial stage during the outbreak, a lot of people were not aware and so, awareness was a problem.
“And so, many people who had Lassa fever took it for malaria fever. So, the thing (disease) was spreading rapidly.
“When we heard the call from ISTH that there was an epidemic, I paid an on-the-spot visit to assess the situation of things. I discovered that within a period of one month, 11 patients died of Lassa fever and that was very disturbing to us.”
The Commissioner blamed the casualty figure on inadequate facilities to manage of the high number of patients undergoing treatment in the Hospital.
He continued: “The reason they (patients) were dying was that it [ISTH] used to have two dialysis machines and one of them broke down and it was left with one.
“That one was overworked, so the effectiveness was not as good. So, the Edo State Government purchased two additional dialysis machines that are saving lives now.”
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Enrique steps down as Spain coach, replaced by assistant Moreno
- Nigerian Students Fashion and Design Week Announce Adeagba Bukunmi & Nonye Udeogu as brand ambassadors for #NSFDW2019
- Cee-C Stars In The Visuals Of Peruzzi’s “Majesty”
- Poco Lee, Raybekah And More Confirmed For Nigerian Freestyle Football Championship Lagos Regional Auditions At Rowe Park
- Mo Abudu To Chair The 47th International Emmy Awards Gala
- INEC Announces Automatic Employment For Corps Members
- Super Falcons lose 1-0 to France in 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup group game
- Report of student visa ban for Nigerians is false — US Embassy
- Tiwa Savage Subs Companies that owe her on Instagram
- New Music: C-Max – Paradise
Top Posts & Pages
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Celebrities1 year ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Photos1 year ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
News7 months ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities1 year ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport6 months ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Community8 months ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!