President Buhari has reportedly revealed that 69 persons were killed in the #EndSARS protest across the country.
BBC reported that the Nigerian President disclosed this during a virtual meeting with former leaders and security chiefs on Friday October 23. He said that 51 civilians, 11 police officers, and seven soldiers were killed in the unrest.
Buhari was quoted saying in a statement released by Femi Adesina that the killing came off an “initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths which was hijacked and misdirected”.
It was further gathered that the Nigerian President who stated that his administration will not allow miscreants and criminals to continue to perpetrate acts of hooliganism in the country, accused the protesters of refusing to call off the protest in spite of meeting their demands.
The statement read;
”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.
”We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country.
“The President thanked the former Heads of State for attending the meeting and their invaluable comments, observations and advice, adding that ‘Nigerians expect nothing less from responsible statesmen’.
“Each of the former leaders commended President Buhari for steps taken so far to restore calm and order to the country and also applauded the presidential broadcast of Thursday as detailed and soothing to the country.
“The former heads of state were unanimous in their view that generation of employment and growing the economy including through direct foreign investments were critical to checking youth restiveness.
“The former heads of state also condemned the divisive and inciting pronouncements of separatists and were of the opinion that such acts should be stopped.
“Equally, the former leaders commended the actions taken by governors to address the demands of the ENDSARS protesters and their efforts to check the excesses of those who perpetrated violent acts and conduct.
“Finally, they called on youths to pursue peaceful means, in seeking redress through engagement with government and encouraged further conversation with the youths and other stakeholders in the country.”
At least three banks, over 10 police stations, local government secretariats, over 80 BRT buses, shopping malls, shops, court, palace, houses, amongst others were torched by the rampaging hoodlums.
Others burnt down include the Lagos State Public Works Corporation in Ojodu, Nigeria Port Authority Building at Marina, Lagos State DNA and Forensic Centre at CMS, Vehicle Inspection Service headquarters in Ojodu and Toll Plazas at Lekki and Ikoyi Link Bridge.
The governor had since instructed the Lagos Waste Management Authority to clean up the city.
Furthermore, Sanwo-Olu said a Panel of Inquiry would commence investigation into Tuesday shootings on Monday.
The panel, the governor said, would start its sitting at the Lagos Court Arbitration Centre international in Lekki.
He urged members of the public to send their petitions and evidence on the Lekki incident to the panel investigation.
“The governor also visited Reddington Lekki Hospital where some of the injured protesters were admitted after the shootings. All admitted persons had been discharged,” the statement concluded.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch The First Episode of Mr Eazi & Temi Otedola’s “How Far”
- Nigeria’s Economy To Grow By 2 Percent In 2021 – CBN
- Boko Haram Beheads 43 Persons In Fresh Attack In Borno State
- Real Madrid 1-2 Deportivo Alaves: Hazard blow as ramshackle champions come unstuck
- Paris Saint-Germain 2-2 Bordeaux: Champions pegged back again as old boys combine
- Valencia 0-1 Atletico Madrid: Lato own goal takes Simeone’s side joint-top
- Brighton and Hove Albion 1-1 Liverpool: VAR rescues Seagulls as Reds pay penalty
- Manchester City 5-0 Burnley: Mahrez hits hat-trick in latest Clarets thrashing
- Messi, Busquets and De Jong return to Barca squad
- No Agreement With FG To Suspend Strike – ASUU
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News3 weeks ago
Bank documents expose how Tinubu’s Alpha-Beta moved billions
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World