Naomi Osaka has claimed an impressive victory over Serena Williams to reach the Australian Open final and end the American’s latest quest for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title.
On Friday, on Rod Laver court in Melbourne, Australia, the 22-year-old three-time Slam champion beat her 39-year-old opponent 6-3 6-4 in one hour and 15 minutes.
Serena started in a confident mood, breaking Osaka to take a 2-0 lead but Osaka regrouped the next five games. Serena held serve for 5-3 but Osaka served out the first set 6-3 in 39 minutes.
Osaka broke Serena at the beginning of the second set, forcing her opponent into errors with big and deep forehands.
With the crowd allowed back into Melbourne Park, record-chasing Serena fed off their energy to level the second game at 4-4 but she destroyed all that good work by immediately handing the initiative and momentum back to Osaka with a double fault.
The Japanese served the match out at the first attempt and she will either face America’s Jennifer Brady or Czech’s Karolina Muchova in Saturday’s final.
She is now on a 20-match unbeaten streak and has never lost a Slam final.
Speaking after her impressive victory, Osaka said;
I hit a lot of unforced errors in the first few games. I was really nervous and scared in the beginning and then I eased my way into it. For me the biggest thing is to just have fun. It’s just always an honor to play her and I just wanted to try my best.
It is the first time Williams has lost a semi-final at Australian Open in eight appearances in the last four.
Read Also: Tennis: Naomi Osaka Breaks Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova Record To Become Highest-Paid Female Athlete In History
Osaka and Williams‘ last meeting at a Grand Slam came at the US Open final in 2018 – a match remembered for Williams’ outburst at the umpire and Osaka’s tears at the presentation ceremony.
Read Also: Naomi Osaka Becomes First Japanese Woman To Win US Open After Beating Idol Serena Williams
Since then, Osaka has won a further two major titles and risen to third in the world rankings, as well as finding more confidence and calmness on court.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Ufc Welterweight Champion Kamaru Usman Declares War On Longtime Contender Jorge Masvidal In Sold-out Epic Rematch Battle
- Watch Skaa In Neon Lights Filled Visuals for “Right Back” featuring Buju
- COVID-19: Nigeria Records 120 New Cases, Zero Deaths In Over A Week
- Gunmen Attack Green Field Private University In Kaduna, Kidnap Students
- Derek Chauvin Found Guilty Of All Three Charges In George Floyd’s Death
- FarmKonnect To Launch Africa’s First Agricultural Electronic Centre In Ibadan
- Phlex has releases a new single, titled “Flavour”
- COVID-19: Nigeria Records 26 New Cases – Lowest Daily Infections In One Year
- UEFA To Ban Clubs Who Take Part In Breakaway European Super League
- Versatile Act, Vclef Releases New Stunning Photos In Anticipation Of His Forthcoming Single
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News5 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes