Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos briefly became the world’s richest man on Thursday, Microsoft founder Bill Gates reclaimed the lead by afternoon as Amazon shares pared their gains.
NEW YORK: Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos briefly became the world’s richest man Thursday in Forbes magazine’s tracking of wealth, as stock in his e-commerce company hit an all-time high.
Microsoft founder Bill Gates reclaimed the lead by afternoon, as Amazon’s stock fell nearly 1 per cent for the day to $1,046.
Amazon shares have been trading at a record high. They hit $1,083.31 at about noon Thursday. According to securities filings, Bezos owns about 80 million shares, or 17 percent; those shares were valued at more than $87 billion at the peak. Bezos also owns The Washington Post through a holding company.
Forbes said Bezos’ net worth was about $90.6 billion when the market opened Thursday. Gates had $90.1 billion. Forbes said Gates would have been the undisputed leader had he not given billions of dollars away to various philanthropic causes. Bezos issued a request for philanthropic ideas in a tweet in June, just before Amazon announced a $13.7 billion deal for organic grocer Whole Foods.
The changes in Bezos’ fortune coincided with Amazon’s report of a 77 percent decline in quarterly profit on heavy spending. Shares fell another 2 percent in after-markets trading as the company missed Wall Street’s expectations on profit.
Amazon said it earned $197 million, or 40 cents per share, in the second quarter, down from $857 million, or $1.78 per share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Zacks investment Research were expecting earnings of $1.40 per share on revenue.
Revenue grew 25 percent to $38 billion, compared with $30 billion a year ago. That topped expectations of $37.2 billion.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Real Madrid 2-0 Espanyol: Zidane’s men march on despite Mendy dismissal
- Borussia Monchengladbach 2-1 Bayern Munich: Bensebaini brace sees Flick’s men lose again
- Everton 3-1 Chelsea: Calvert-Lewin at the double as Ferguson makes instant impact
- Man Utd bigger than neighbours City – Solskjaer
- Liverpool matches moved as FIFA changes Club World Cup final venue
- “There Will Be Consequences In Our Relationship With Nigeria” – US Government Comments on Sowore’s Arrest
- Quagliarella signs new Sampdoria deal
- Mr 2Kay Releases “Concentrate” EP | Listen
- Cool FM hosts Cardi B in first ever live radio interview in Nigeria
- New Video: Butch of JMG – Okpe
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Celebrities1 year ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
News1 year ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities2 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport11 months ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Community1 year ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!