Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos briefly became the world’s richest man on Thursday, Microsoft founder Bill Gates reclaimed the lead by afternoon as Amazon shares pared their gains.
NEW YORK: Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos briefly became the world’s richest man Thursday in Forbes magazine’s tracking of wealth, as stock in his e-commerce company hit an all-time high.
Microsoft founder Bill Gates reclaimed the lead by afternoon, as Amazon’s stock fell nearly 1 per cent for the day to $1,046.
Amazon shares have been trading at a record high. They hit $1,083.31 at about noon Thursday. According to securities filings, Bezos owns about 80 million shares, or 17 percent; those shares were valued at more than $87 billion at the peak. Bezos also owns The Washington Post through a holding company.
Forbes said Bezos’ net worth was about $90.6 billion when the market opened Thursday. Gates had $90.1 billion. Forbes said Gates would have been the undisputed leader had he not given billions of dollars away to various philanthropic causes. Bezos issued a request for philanthropic ideas in a tweet in June, just before Amazon announced a $13.7 billion deal for organic grocer Whole Foods.
The changes in Bezos’ fortune coincided with Amazon’s report of a 77 percent decline in quarterly profit on heavy spending. Shares fell another 2 percent in after-markets trading as the company missed Wall Street’s expectations on profit.
Amazon said it earned $197 million, or 40 cents per share, in the second quarter, down from $857 million, or $1.78 per share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Zacks investment Research were expecting earnings of $1.40 per share on revenue.
Revenue grew 25 percent to $38 billion, compared with $30 billion a year ago. That topped expectations of $37.2 billion.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Barcelona 1-1 Granada: Araujo rescues blundering Blaugrana
- BBNaija: Whitemoney, Pere and four others up for eviction as Emmanuel emerges ultimate veto power holder
- Dollar hits N575 two days after Aboki FX update suspension
- Sanwo-Olu signs anti-open grazing bill into law
- If You Don’t Want A Northerner As President In 2023 You Can Leave Nigeria – Hakeem Baba-Ahmed
- BackRoad Gee Teams Up With Olamide On “See Level”
- Sokoto bans fuel sale above N5,000 to motorists
- “My goal is to develop models that meets global standards and transform the lives of young African girls” —Star Models CEO, Aisha Bello
- Watch Oxlade In Mani Directed Visualizer For “Pay Me”
- Brazilian footballer Hulk Announces his Niece is pregnant with His child
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News10 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News3 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects