Some of the bronzes looted from the Benin Empire by British Soldiers over 100 years will be returned to Nigeria, but with certain terms and conditions, CNN is reporting.
According to CNN, the Benin Dialogue Group (BDG), which comprises of representatives of several European museums, the Royal Court of Benin, Edo State Government, and Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments, struck a deal in October to have “some of the most iconic pieces” return to Nigeria for an exhibition at the new Benin Royal Museum in Edo State within three years.
The return of the artefacts is contingent on the completion of the Royal Museum of Benin, whose designs, according to spokesperson to Governor Godwin Obaseki, Crusoe Osagie, are being finalised.
“We are grateful these steps are being taken but we hope they are only the first steps. If you have stolen property, you have to give it back,” Osagie said.
Osagie also called for more pressure on European governments to return looted artefacts from the colonial era.
A spokesperson for the British Museum, according to CNN, said:
The key agenda item (at the October meeting) was how partners can work together to establish a museum in Benin City with a rotation of Benin works of art from a consortium of European museums.
The museums in attendance have all agreed to lend artefacts to the Benin Royal Museum on a rotating basis, to provide advice as requested on building and exhibition design, and to cooperate with the Nigerian partners in developing training, funding, and a legal framework for the display in a new planned museum.
There are no details on the pieces to be returned at the moment.
Photo Credit: Michel Wal/ The Art Newspaper
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Yemi Alade appointed as goodwill ambassador for UNDP
- Nigerian doctor Tunji Funsho named one of TIME’s Most Influential People in the world
- Nissi Releases Visuals To Her Title Track ‘ignite’ Off Her Critically Acclaimed E.p ”ignite”.
- Dominic Purcell Says Sixth Season Of Prison Break Is Happening
- Rapper Tay Way Killed After Sharing His Location On Social Media
- Cult Leader Who Claims To Be Jesus Arrested By Russian Security Forces
- COVID-19 threatens Eagles’ friendlies as case rises in Austria
- Man Utd reach League Cup last 16 as coronavirus causes chaos
- Stefflon Don Releases New Music Video “Move”
- Watch Kendickson In the Visuals For “Wayo”
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World