President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the immediate opening of four land borders over a year after they were shut.
The President on Wednesday also directed other land borders to be opened by December 31, 2020.
In August 2019, the President ordered closed Nigeria’s land border with Benin, preventing the import of goods.
The move significantly affected trade in foodstuffs, which had already been affected by various past import restrictions.
The order was part of an effort to tackle smuggling and associated corruption, but also to spur the domestic agricultural industry.
On October 14, Nigeria then ordered closed all of Nigeria’s borders with Benin, as well as those with all other countries, for the same reasons.
Imports have since been coming into Nigeria through sea ports, where customs duties were easily imposed than at land borders.
However, in November 2020, Federal Government reportedly permitted Dangote Cement to resume exports across Nigerian land borders.
The new development was announced by Minister of Finance Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed after the week’s virtual FEC meeting.
She however noted that restriction on the importation of some commodities, like rice and other products, would continue to be enforced.
The borders opened for now include Seme Border in the Southwest, Ilela Border in the Northwest, Mfun Border in the Southsouth and Maigatari Border in the Northwest.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Zinny in “Freaky At Night” Visuals
- COVID-19 Vaccine: Nigeria Records 8,439 Side Effects, Says NPHCDA
- COVID-19: Nigeria Records 67 New Cases, No Death In Four Days
- Omawumi is giving her fans some “Bullshit”
- PSG wait for ‘happier’ Neymar to sign contract extension
- Ahmed Musa promise to lead Kano Pillars to win NPFL title
- Waje Releases “Heart Season” EP
- Villarreal 2-1 Dinamo Zagreb (3-1 agg): Emery to face Arsenal as Moreno helps secure semi-final spot
- Slavia Prague 0-4 Arsenal (1-5 agg): Gunners set up Emery reunion after first-half blitz
- Manchester United 2-0 Granada (4-0 agg): Cavani landmark strike as semi-final awaits
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes