Former presidential candidate in the last general election, Oby Ezekwesili, has berated President Muhammadu Buhari’s handling of Nigeria’s monetary policies.
Mrs. Ezekwesili, a former minister of education said on Arise TV Monday that the Buhari administration was bereft of sound economic ideas, hence the continual degradation of the naira.
The erstwhile vice-president, Africa Division of the World Bank criticised the “politicisation” of the Nigerian Central Bank, which she termed an “extension” of the Presidential Villa.
“When you think in terms of monetary policies, the Central Bank has become an extension of the Villa and that is problematic,” Mrs. Ezekwesili said.
“You can’t have your monetary authority so badly politicised in the way it currently is and have a sound monetary policy,” the former minister stated, while asserting that President Buhari’s foreign exchange policy had resulted in “murdering the naira.”
She added that “the greatest tragedy of the last five years of the country has been the fact that there has been poverty of ideas in terms of economic management.”
The naira has continued to depreciate against the dollar, leaving the country in a precarious state in the foreign exchange market.
Nigeria slid into its second recession under Mr. Buhari in the last quarter of 2020, recording massive decline in gross domestic product.
Experts had blamed the 15-month closure of the nation’s land borders, as well as the controversial fiscal and monetary policies of the Buhari administration and the apex bank for the latest recession.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Omawumi is giving her fans some “Bullshit”
- PSG wait for ‘happier’ Neymar to sign contract extension
- Ahmed Musa promise to lead Kano Pillars to win NPFL title
- Waje Releases “Heart Season” EP
- Villarreal 2-1 Dinamo Zagreb (3-1 agg): Emery to face Arsenal as Moreno helps secure semi-final spot
- Slavia Prague 0-4 Arsenal (1-5 agg): Gunners set up Emery reunion after first-half blitz
- Manchester United 2-0 Granada (4-0 agg): Cavani landmark strike as semi-final awaits
- Roma 1-1 Ajax (3-2 agg): Serie A side scrape through to set up Man Utd semi
- Tiwa Savage Covers Allure Magazine’s Latest Issue
- President Buhari Returns From Medical Trip To UK
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes