Cameroon’s 85-year- old President Paul Biya was sworn in on Tuesday for a seventh term after disputed elections and amid mounting unrest in an English- speaking region .
He pledged to uphold the “ integrity (and ) unity ” of the West African nation in a ceremony overseen by parliament speaker Cavaye Yeguie Djibril . Biya, who has ruled the country for 35 years, was declared victor in the October 7 vote with 71 percent of the ballot.
But the elections were marked by low voter turnout, violence and allegations of fraud.
On the eve of Biya’s inauguration, 79 students and three supervisors, including
their headmaster, were abducted from a school in the Northwest Region , where anglophone separatists have launched an armed campaign for independence.
Cameroon’s 22 million people are mainly French speakers, but around a fifth are English- speaking. In 2016, resentment at perceived discrimination in education, the judiciary and the economy fanned demands for autonomy in the Northwest and neighbouring Southwest Region.
In 2017, as Biya refused any concessions, radicals declared an independent state the “ Republic of Ambazonia ” — and took up arms . Attacks by the secessionists and a crackdown by the authorities have led to the death of at least 400 civilians this
year as well as more than 175 members of the security forces , according to an NGO toll .
More than 300 ,000 people have fled the violence , many of them living hand- to – mouth in the forests , and some across
the border into Nigeria
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Crossover To APC Before You Die – Osinbajo Advises PDP Members
- #BBNaija: Enkay Evicted From The Big Brother Naija House
- #BBNaija: Joe Evicted From The Big Brother House
- Ndidi Header Denies Lampard Homecoming Win At Chelsea
- Ashley Cole: Ex-Arsenal, Chelsea And England Full-Back Retires
- “I’ve done nothing wrong, will clear my name – Siasia
- ALT.19 SummerFest with Ycee: Ycee is hosting the ‘Biggest Summer Party’ at Muri Okunola Park on August 31st
- Abike Dabiri Condemns Attack Of Ex Senate Pres. Ike Ekweremadu
- Mayor In Canada Comes Out As Gay At Age 58
- Nigeria losing N1,085t daily to fuel smuggling
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Celebrities1 year ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
News9 months ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities1 year ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport8 months ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Community10 months ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!