Chelsea dropped points for the fourth time in five Premier League games as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Aston Villa in their final match of 2020.
Frank Lampard will have been hoping for a response to their woeful 3-1 defeat to Arsenal and dropped big-money signing Timo Werner amid a goal drought, but the Blues were no more fluent against Dean Smith’s side.
Villa’s hopes of keeping five consecutive top-flight clean sheets for the first time since September 1998 were ended 34 minutes in as Olivier Giroud struck, making it seven successive goalscoring appearances against the Villans in the Premier League for the Frenchman.
But Anwar El Ghazi levelled with his fifth goal in as many games in the 50th minute and that proved decisive, while Chelsea were fortunate to not concede again when John McGinn hit the crossbar.
An entertaining start saw both sides threaten, Jack Grealish having a curling 18-yard effort turned wide by Edouard Mendy before Christian Pulisic lashed into the side-netting at the other end.
Another opportunity was spurned by Pulisic just past the half-hour, though two minutes later Chelsea had the lead – Giroud sending a thumping header in from Ben Chilwell’s inviting delivery.
Villa levelled early in the second half when Matty Cash’s cross found El Ghazi at the back post, and he steered home through the legs of Mendy, who probably should have done better.
Chelsea’s reaction was hardly emphatic and Villa went agonisingly close to a spectacular second, the ball breaking kindly for McGinn 30 yards from goal and his fierce effort cannoned off the bar.
Lampard introduced the much-maligned Werner and Kai Havertz towards the end, though neither inspired an improvement in Chelsea’s fortunes against a shrewd Villa backline.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Omawumi is giving her fans some “Bullshit”
- PSG wait for ‘happier’ Neymar to sign contract extension
- Ahmed Musa promise to lead Kano Pillars to win NPFL title
- Waje Releases “Heart Season” EP
- Villarreal 2-1 Dinamo Zagreb (3-1 agg): Emery to face Arsenal as Moreno helps secure semi-final spot
- Slavia Prague 0-4 Arsenal (1-5 agg): Gunners set up Emery reunion after first-half blitz
- Manchester United 2-0 Granada (4-0 agg): Cavani landmark strike as semi-final awaits
- Roma 1-1 Ajax (3-2 agg): Serie A side scrape through to set up Man Utd semi
- Tiwa Savage Covers Allure Magazine’s Latest Issue
- President Buhari Returns From Medical Trip To UK
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes