Dominik Livakovic’s calamitous late error gifted Portugal a 3-2 victory as Fernando Santos’ side ended their Nations League campaign on a high note but Croatia avoided relegation from Group A3.
Croatia, reduced to 10 men early in the second half when Marko Rog received a second booking, seemed to be heading for a draw in Split on Tuesday.
Mateo Kovacic opened the scoring in the 29th minute before curling in from the edge of the box after goals from Ruben Dias and Joao Felix had put Portugal ahead.
But Livakovic endured a 90th-minute nightmare, fumbling a corner to the feet of Dias, who completed his double to snatch the points, yet Croatia avoid the drop due to France’s win over Sweden.
Diogo Jota and Cristiano Ronaldo went close as Portugal turned the screw, but the visitors had Dias to thank when he blocked Mario Pasalic’s goal-bound effort at the other end.
Yet Dias could not prevent Croatia from opening the scoring – Kovacic lashing home at the second attempt after having his initial shot from Pasalic’s cross blocked.
Portugal should have been two down eight minutes later, only for Josip Juranovic to head wide from inside the six-yard box, and Danilo Pereira would have made Croatia pay if not for Livakovic’s instinctive stop.
But Portugal had their equaliser eight minutes into the second half.
Rog was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Ronaldo, whose free-kick was parried out by Livakovic and Ruben Semedo squared for Dias to add insult to injury by prodding in.
Portugal were in front on the hour-mark, with Joao Felix on hand to tuck in from Jota’s lay off, yet Croatia defied their numerical disadvantage to hit back when Kovacic curled a low strike into the bottom-left corner.
Bernardo Silva squandered a golden chance to win it for Portugal, but his blushes were swiftly sparred by Livakovic.
The goalkeeper charged out to claim Joao Moutinho’s corner, only to drop it after making contact with Dejan Lovren, enabling Dias to snatch victory.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch The First Episode of Mr Eazi & Temi Otedola’s “How Far”
- Nigeria’s Economy To Grow By 2 Percent In 2021 – CBN
- Boko Haram Beheads 43 Persons In Fresh Attack In Borno State
- Real Madrid 1-2 Deportivo Alaves: Hazard blow as ramshackle champions come unstuck
- Paris Saint-Germain 2-2 Bordeaux: Champions pegged back again as old boys combine
- Valencia 0-1 Atletico Madrid: Lato own goal takes Simeone’s side joint-top
- Brighton and Hove Albion 1-1 Liverpool: VAR rescues Seagulls as Reds pay penalty
- Manchester City 5-0 Burnley: Mahrez hits hat-trick in latest Clarets thrashing
- Messi, Busquets and De Jong return to Barca squad
- No Agreement With FG To Suspend Strike – ASUU
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News3 weeks ago
Bank documents expose how Tinubu’s Alpha-Beta moved billions
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World