US President Donald Trump’s state visit to Britain is being planned for next year, a senior British government source said Tuesday.
Prime Minister Theresa May extended the invitation when she visited Washington just days after Trump’s inauguration in January, but a date has yet to be set.
The source said both sides had been unable to arrange a date for 2017 and were now looking for dates in 2018.
There has been speculation Trump was deferring the state visit, an occasion filled with pomp that involves a banquet with Queen Elizabeth II, amid concerns that it would draw protests over his presidency.
Questions about the trip also arose after it got no mention in the Queen’s annual speech to parliament in June, when it is customary for the monarch to list upcoming state visits.
But Trump confirmed he would be visiting Britain at the G20 in Hamburg, where he met with May, saying he “will be going to London”. Asked when, he replied: “We’ll work that out.”
May has been derided for seeking to curry favour with Trump and has come under fire for inviting him for a state visit so soon into his presidency.
Opposition Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, the smaller Liberal Democrats and the Scottish National Party have all called for the state visit to be cancelled, as have some from May’s own Conservative Party.
The Speaker of the House of Commons previously said he was “strongly opposed” to allowing Donald Trump to address members of parliament during the US president’s state visit later this year.
More than 160 of parliament’s 650 MPs have signed a parliamentary motion opposing an address by Trump, citing the travel ban and his comments on torture and women.
A speech to both Houses of Commons and Lords has been a feature of many previous state visits, including one by Barack Obama in 2011.
More than 1.8 million people have also signed an online petition saying Trump should not make the state visit as it “could cause embarrassment” to the monarch.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Lokomotiv Moscow 1-2 Bayern Munich: Kimmich spares defending champions’ blushes with late winner
- Bartomeu resigns as Barcelona president
- Sanwo-Olu speaks to CNN on Lekki Toll Shooting, #EndSARS Protest & Lagos Judicial Panel
- Banky W, 2Baba, Timi Dakolo, Waje, Seun Kuti call for a better Nigeria With new single ‘Talk And Do’
- Coman wants another Bayern treble – but this time with fans
- CACOVID finally reacts to looted palliatives
- “We are not a collection of angels” – Nigerian police
- Milan 3-3 Roma: Ibrahimovic on target twice but Rossoneri held in thriller
- Burnley 0-1 Tottenham: Son spares underwhelming Spurs
- NBC fines Channels TV, Arise, AIT over #EndSARS coverage
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World