Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned Peiter Borremans and Nkechi Borremans, a Dutch couple, before a federal high court in Port Harcourt, Rivers state, for allegedly defrauding a company of $330,000 meant for the purchase of a marine tanker vessel.
A man had petitioned the Port Harcourt zone of EFCC, claiming that his companies, Jackkyson Multi Services Limited and Alot General services Limited, offered to purchase a marine tanker vessel from Lagon Trade Limited, a company allegedly owned by the accused couple, for $1.1 million.
A sum of $330,000 was said to have been made as part payment.
The petitioner said the couple “disappeared” after collecting the money, and all efforts to get a refund or delivery of the vessel proved abortive.
The Borremans, alongside their company, were arraigned on Tuesday before E.A. Obile, presiding judge, on a two-count charge bordering on conspiracy and obtaining by false pretence, contrary to Section 1(1) (a) and (2) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act 2006 and punishable under Section 1(3) of the same Act. They pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Upon taking their pleas, N.A. Dodo, the prosecution counsel, prayed the court for a date to commence trial and urged that the defendants be remanded in custody of Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS).
However, C.A. Okowanya, counsel to the defendants, prayed that his clients be remanded in EFCC custody due to COVID-19 protocol, pending when their bail applications are taken.
The judge adjourned the matter till March 31, 2021, for commencement of trial and remanded the defendants in EFCC custody.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Wizkid And Tems in “Essense” Visuals
- Peruzzi has finally released his highly anticipated second studio album tagged, “Rum & Boogie.”
- Arsenal 1-1 Slavia Prague: Late Holes leveller leaves Gunners with work to do
- Granada 0-2 Manchester United: Rashford and Fernandes give Red Devils edge in Europa League tie
- Bayern Munich 2-3 Paris Saint-Germain: Mbappe double stuns holders
- Porto 0-2 Chelsea: Blues put one foot in semi-finals thanks to Mount and Chilwell
- Mavin Records and Jonzing World premieres the official music video to Rema‘s latest smash hit single “Bounce“.
- Ondo State Born Ayodeji Nelson Daodu awarded at the Erasmus university
- Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: Vinicius pounces on defensive lapses as Los Blancos take first-leg lead
- Manchester City 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Foden edges Guardiola’s men ahead in breathless finale
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes