Joint Senate and House of Representatives Committee on Independent National Electoral Commission and Election Matters has reportedly rejected a proposal to allow married underage girls to vote during elections.
According to ThePunch, the proposal did not scale through when it was tabled before the Technical Committee on Electoral Act Amendment at the end of its three-day retreat held in Abuja last week.
The technical panel consists of members of the National Assembly, Attorney-General/Minister of Justice, the INEC Chairman, notable stakeholders in election matters and heads of pro-democratic institutions.
In December, Chairman, Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Kabiru Gaya, and his counterpart in the House of Representatives, Aisha Dukku, proposed a review of the provision in Electoral Act which pegged the eligibility of a voter at 18 years.
The federal lawmakers specifically recommended that INEC should consider any married girl who is not up to 18 years as an eligible voter.
However, many stakeholders, especially civil rights groups and lawmakers, kicked against the provision when it was presented as part of the proposed amendments to Electoral Act 2021.
It was learnt that members of the joint panel, while reviewing the outcome of retreat, agreed with the positions canvassed by participants at the forum and dropped the proposal.
They argued, among others, that, it was a smart way of giving legal backing to child marriage.
Senator Gaya confirmed to the publication that the proposal did not pull through, as stakeholders unanimously rejected the idea on the grounds that it was in conflict with the constitution, which pegged voting age at 18.
He, however, said the Islamic religion recognises any mother, no matter the age, as being responsible and mature.
Senator Gaya expressed;
The law recognises an 18-year-old person and above as eligible voters but we wanted to put a caveat that any married lady who is not up to 18 years old should be qualified but the proposal did not sail through.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Ndudi Elumelu Joins Calls For Pantami’s Removal
- Lagos Vaccinates 257,756 People, Announces Date To Begin Second Dose
- Crayon Releases “Too Correct Visuals Featuring Label Mate Rema
- Sanwo-olu Launches $20 Million ‘lagos Cares’ Programme For Youths, Women
- Shareholders Applaud FCMB, Approve Dividend of N2.97bn at AGM
- Ufc Welterweight Champion Kamaru Usman Declares War On Longtime Contender Jorge Masvidal In Sold-out Epic Rematch Battle
- Watch Skaa In Neon Lights Filled Visuals for “Right Back” featuring Buju
- COVID-19: Nigeria Records 120 New Cases, Zero Deaths In Over A Week
- Gunmen Attack Green Field Private University In Kaduna, Kidnap Students
- Derek Chauvin Found Guilty Of All Three Charges In George Floyd’s Death
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News5 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes