An FCT High Court in Kubwa, Abuja, has granted an application for stay of proceedings in a case between controversial lawyer Kenechukwu Okeke and 50 prominent Nigerians accused of championing the historic #EndSARS protests last year.
Justice Bello Kawu in his ruling on Wednesday, granted the prayers of the applicants who had, among other things, sought an order of the court restraining the Nigeria Police Force, and the Abuja police commissioner from arresting or taking further steps against them on the matter.
This followed an application filed by one of the counsels to the applicants, Samuel Ihensekhien Jnr.
Mr. Okeke, the controversial Abuja-based lawyer had last November filed a criminal complaint against rights activists Deji Adeyanju and Aisha Yesufu, as well as popular singer Davido and preacher Sam Adeyemi among others, at an Abuja magistrate’s court in Wuse.
The lawyer had sought punishment for the prominent personalities, who also included Tiwa Savage, Feyikemi Abudu, Wizkid and Dipo Awojide, for their roles in enhancing advocacy for the now rested protests against decades of police atrocities against citizens.
A chief magistrate in Abuja, Omolola Akindele, had directed the Abuja police commissioner Bala Ciroma to investigate the activists.
The lawsuit, which had sparked public outrage, was widely perceived as an ill-fated scheme to silence the plurality of Nigerians.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Omawumi is giving her fans some “Bullshit”
- PSG wait for ‘happier’ Neymar to sign contract extension
- Ahmed Musa promise to lead Kano Pillars to win NPFL title
- Waje Releases “Heart Season” EP
- Villarreal 2-1 Dinamo Zagreb (3-1 agg): Emery to face Arsenal as Moreno helps secure semi-final spot
- Slavia Prague 0-4 Arsenal (1-5 agg): Gunners set up Emery reunion after first-half blitz
- Manchester United 2-0 Granada (4-0 agg): Cavani landmark strike as semi-final awaits
- Roma 1-1 Ajax (3-2 agg): Serie A side scrape through to set up Man Utd semi
- Tiwa Savage Covers Allure Magazine’s Latest Issue
- President Buhari Returns From Medical Trip To UK
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes