Facebook Inc says it is tightening rules around its livestreaming feature ahead of a meeting of world leaders aimed at curbing online violence in the aftermath of a massacre in New Zealand.
A lone gunman killed 51 people at two mosques in the city of Christchurch on March 15 while livestreaming the attacks on Facebook.
It was New Zealand’s worst peacetime shooting and spurred calls for tech companies to do more to combat extremism on their services.
Facebook said in a statement it was introducing a “one-strike” policy for use of Facebook Live, temporarily restricting access for people who have faced disciplinary action for breaking the company’s most serious rules anywhere on its site.
First-time offenders will be suspended from using Live for set periods of time, the company said. It is also broadening the range of offences that will qualify for one-strike suspensions.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the change addressed a key component of an initiative, known as the “Christchurch Call”, she is spearheading to halt the spread of violence online.
“Facebook’s decision to put limits on livestreaming is a good first step to restrict the application being used as a tool for terrorists, and shows the Christchurch Call is being acted on,” she said in an email from her spokesman.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Miley Cyrus & Liam Hemswoth are Officially Divorced
- WARIF Partners With Un Women On The Joint Eu-un Spotlight Initiative To End Gender Based Violence In Tertiary Institutions
- Spurs sign PSV’s Bergwijn for reported £27m
- Few Models Scouting Tour To Take Place In Five Cities Across Nigeria In February
- Nigerian OAPs Call Out some Popular Media Houses for Unpaid Salaries & ill-Treatment
- Grammy 2020: Burna Boy Loses Award To Angelique Kidjo | See Full Winners List
- NBA Legend Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash
- Osinbajo reveals importance of VAT increment to economy
- President Buhari reiterates pledge to defeat Boko Haram
- Boko Haram: EU, UN express concern over increasing attacks on aid workers in Nigeria
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News1 year ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Sport1 year ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Celebrities2 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Community1 year ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!