Gonorrhoea infections are increasing, but doctors are running out of antibiotics that can fight the increasingly resistant bacteria causing the sexual disease, the World Health Organisation (WHO) warned on Friday.
Gonorrhoea is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by bacteria called Neisseria gonorrhoeae or gonococcus.
It is mainly found in discharge from the penis and in vaginal fluid and can easily pass between people through unprotected vaginal, oral or anal sex.
Two-thirds of the countries that report resistance data to the WHO have seen cases in recent years in which their antibiotics of last resort no longer worked against gonococci bacteria.
“These cases may just be the tip of the iceberg since systems to diagnose and report untreatable infections are lacking in lower-income countries where gonorrhoea is actually more common,” WHO expert, Teodora Wi, said in Geneva.
Britain and the U.S. reported increases of more than 10 per cent in 2015.
Cases among gay men in France doubled between 2013 and 2015.
Rates are highest in the African region, where one in 10 men is infected annually.
The main reasons for the increase are decreasing condom use, increased mobility as well as poor disease monitoring and inadequate treatment, according to the WHO.
Gonorrhoea can infect the genitals, rectum and throat. It can lead to inflammation of the pelvis and to infertility.
Currently, only three new drugs are being developed, because pharmaceutical companies know that the bacteria will soon become resistant to any new antibiotic.
To control gonorrhoea, doctors not only need new medicines, but also a rapid diagnostic tool and a vaccine, which are yet to be developed, WHO Antimicrobial expert, Marc Sprenger, said.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Hillary Clinton Calls on Buhari, Nigerian Army to stop killing peaceful #EndSARS protesters
- Watch the trailer for Chadwick Boseman’s final film, ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’
- Pique, De Jong, Lenglet and Ter Stegen sign contract extensions
- Man Utd top Champions League own goals charts after Martial mistake
- Military shoots #ENDSARS Protesters at Lekki-Ikoyi Tollgate, Lagos as CCTV gets disabled.
- Barcelona 5-1 Ferencvaros: Messi on target as Pique sees red
- Ozil’s Arsenal career all but over after being left out of Premier League squad
- Bayern star Gnabry tests positive for COVID-19
- Chelsea 0-0 Sevilla: Blues kick off Champions League campaign with goalless draw
- Paris Saint-Germain 1-2 Manchester United: Rashford rescues Red Devils again
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World