Fitness & Health
Gonorrhea is Becoming Untreatable – WHO
Gonorrhoea infections are increasing, but doctors are running out of antibiotics that can fight the increasingly resistant bacteria causing the sexual disease, the World Health Organisation (WHO) warned on Friday.
Gonorrhoea is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by bacteria called Neisseria gonorrhoeae or gonococcus.
It is mainly found in discharge from the penis and in vaginal fluid and can easily pass between people through unprotected vaginal, oral or anal sex.
Two-thirds of the countries that report resistance data to the WHO have seen cases in recent years in which their antibiotics of last resort no longer worked against gonococci bacteria.
“These cases may just be the tip of the iceberg since systems to diagnose and report untreatable infections are lacking in lower-income countries where gonorrhoea is actually more common,” WHO expert, Teodora Wi, said in Geneva.
Britain and the U.S. reported increases of more than 10 per cent in 2015.
Cases among gay men in France doubled between 2013 and 2015.
Rates are highest in the African region, where one in 10 men is infected annually.
The main reasons for the increase are decreasing condom use, increased mobility as well as poor disease monitoring and inadequate treatment, according to the WHO.
Gonorrhoea can infect the genitals, rectum and throat. It can lead to inflammation of the pelvis and to infertility.
Currently, only three new drugs are being developed, because pharmaceutical companies know that the bacteria will soon become resistant to any new antibiotic.
To control gonorrhoea, doctors not only need new medicines, but also a rapid diagnostic tool and a vaccine, which are yet to be developed, WHO Antimicrobial expert, Marc Sprenger, said.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Rukayat Shittu (26yrs Old) Emerges Winner At The Just Concluded Election in Kwara State House Of Assembly
- Funke Akindele Takes Down All Posts Relating To Politics From Her IG Page
- Keyamo Raises Alarm Over Plot To Rig Out APC Candidate, Binani
- Ganduje Declares Dawn To Dusk Curfew As NNPP Wins Guber Election
- Barcelona 2-1 Real Madrid: Last-gasp Kessie winner settles Clasico
- Inter 0-1 Juventus: Kostic strikes as Bianconeri close gap on top four
- Manchester United 3-1 Fulham: Red Devils through after visitors crumble
- Leverkusen 2-1 Bayern Munich: Champions slip up after two VAR penalties
- PSG 0-2 Rennes: Dismal champions stunned as pressure grows on Galtier
- Brighton 5-0 Grimsby: Ferguson bags brace to book Wembley trip
Entertainment News5 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News2 years ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles6 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Business News1 year ago
Air Peace Introduces Priority Boarding For Military Personnel
Photos5 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Videos3 years ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Entertainment News5 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities5 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant