Over the sum of 339.5 million rubles equivalent to, $6 million, was stolen by some unknown hackers in an attack on the SWIFT international payments messaging system in Russia the year 2017, the Russian central bank announced this to journalist on Friday, February 16, 2018.
The report which is hidden right at the bottom of a central bank report on digital thefts at Russian banks is the latest in a string of attempted and successful cyber heists using fraudulent wire-transfer requests.
The central bank said it had been sent information about ”one successful attack on the work place of a SWIFT system operator.
“The volume of unsanctioned operations as a result of this attack amounted to 339.5 million rubles,” the bank said.
The central bank declined to provide further details.
A spokeswoman for SWIFT, whose messaging system is used to transfer trillions of dollars each day, said the company does not comment on specific entities.
”When a case of potential fraud is reported to us, we offer our assistance to the affected user to help secure its environment,” said the spokeswoman, Natasha de Teran.
A central bank spokesman quoted Artem Sychev, deputy head of the regulator’s security department, as saying the hackers had withdrawn the money and this was “a common scheme, when they take control of a computer.”
Brussels-based SWIFT said late last year digital heists were becoming increasingly prominent as hackers use more sophisticated tools and techniques to launch new attacks.
In December, hackers tried to steal 55 million rubles from Russian state bank Globex using the SWIFT system, and digital thieves made off with $81 million from Bangladesh Bank in February 2016.
SWIFT has declined to disclose the number of attacks or identify any victims, but details on some cases have become public, including attacks on Taiwan’s Far Eastern International Bank and Nepal’s NIC Asia Bank.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Enrique steps down as Spain coach, replaced by assistant Moreno
- Nigerian Students Fashion and Design Week Announce Adeagba Bukunmi & Nonye Udeogu as brand ambassadors for #NSFDW2019
- Cee-C Stars In The Visuals Of Peruzzi’s “Majesty”
- Poco Lee, Raybekah And More Confirmed For Nigerian Freestyle Football Championship Lagos Regional Auditions At Rowe Park
- Mo Abudu To Chair The 47th International Emmy Awards Gala
- INEC Announces Automatic Employment For Corps Members
- Super Falcons lose 1-0 to France in 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup group game
- Report of student visa ban for Nigerians is false — US Embassy
- Tiwa Savage Subs Companies that owe her on Instagram
- New Music: C-Max – Paradise
Top Posts & Pages
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Celebrities1 year ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Photos1 year ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
News7 months ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities1 year ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport6 months ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Community8 months ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!