Hackers Steal Over $6 Million From Russian Banks
Over the sum of 339.5 million rubles equivalent to, $6 million, was stolen by some unknown hackers in an attack on the SWIFT international payments messaging system in Russia the year 2017, the Russian central bank announced this to journalist on Friday, February 16, 2018.
The report which is hidden right at the bottom of a central bank report on digital thefts at Russian banks is the latest in a string of attempted and successful cyber heists using fraudulent wire-transfer requests.
The central bank said it had been sent information about ”one successful attack on the work place of a SWIFT system operator.
“The volume of unsanctioned operations as a result of this attack amounted to 339.5 million rubles,” the bank said.
The central bank declined to provide further details.
A spokeswoman for SWIFT, whose messaging system is used to transfer trillions of dollars each day, said the company does not comment on specific entities.
”When a case of potential fraud is reported to us, we offer our assistance to the affected user to help secure its environment,” said the spokeswoman, Natasha de Teran.
A central bank spokesman quoted Artem Sychev, deputy head of the regulator’s security department, as saying the hackers had withdrawn the money and this was “a common scheme, when they take control of a computer.”
Brussels-based SWIFT said late last year digital heists were becoming increasingly prominent as hackers use more sophisticated tools and techniques to launch new attacks.
In December, hackers tried to steal 55 million rubles from Russian state bank Globex using the SWIFT system, and digital thieves made off with $81 million from Bangladesh Bank in February 2016.
SWIFT has declined to disclose the number of attacks or identify any victims, but details on some cases have become public, including attacks on Taiwan’s Far Eastern International Bank and Nepal’s NIC Asia Bank.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Rukayat Shittu (26yrs Old) Emerges Winner At The Just Concluded Election in Kwara State House Of Assembly
- Funke Akindele Takes Down All Posts Relating To Politics From Her IG Page
- Keyamo Raises Alarm Over Plot To Rig Out APC Candidate, Binani
- Ganduje Declares Dawn To Dusk Curfew As NNPP Wins Guber Election
- Barcelona 2-1 Real Madrid: Last-gasp Kessie winner settles Clasico
- Inter 0-1 Juventus: Kostic strikes as Bianconeri close gap on top four
- Manchester United 3-1 Fulham: Red Devils through after visitors crumble
- Leverkusen 2-1 Bayern Munich: Champions slip up after two VAR penalties
- PSG 0-2 Rennes: Dismal champions stunned as pressure grows on Galtier
- Brighton 5-0 Grimsby: Ferguson bags brace to book Wembley trip
Entertainment News5 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News2 years ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles6 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Business News1 year ago
Air Peace Introduces Priority Boarding For Military Personnel
Photos5 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Videos3 years ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Entertainment News5 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities5 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant