Several hundred protesters gathered in the Iraqi capital on Saturday afternoon to demand US troops leave the country in accordance with a parliament vote earlier this year.
“We will choose resistance if parliament’s vote is not ratified!” read one of the banners at the demonstration, which took place near an entrance to the high-security Green Zone, where the US embassy and other foreign missions are located.
Others carried signs bearing the logo of Hashed al-Shaabi, a state-sponsored network of armed groups including many supported by Iraq’s powerful neighbour Iran.
Following a US strike on Baghdad in January that killed top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani and the Hashed’s deputy head, outraged Iraqi parliamentarians voted to oust all foreign forces deployed in the country.
The US has sent thousands of troops to Iraq since 2014 to lead an international coalition helping Baghdad fight the Islamic State jihadist group.
Washington has drawn down those forces in recent months to around 3,000, and other coalition countries have also shrunk their footprint.
Starting in October 2019, rockets regularly targeted those troops as well as diplomats at the US embassy.
Over the summer, there was a marked increase in attacks against coalition logistics convoys using roadside bombs.
Enraged by the ongoing attacks, the US in late September threatened to close its Baghdad embassy and carry out bombing raids against hard-line elements of the Hashed.
Pro-Iran factions announced a temporary truce in October that put an end to the attacks, with no rockets targeting the embassy or foreign troops since.
Iraq has long been caught in the struggle for influence between its two main allies, the US and Iran, with the tug-of-war intensifying under US President Donald Trump.
Baghdad has been closely monitoring the results of the US presidential elections, seeing a change in the White House as a sign that tensions between Washington and Tehran could decrease.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Super Designer Virgil Abloh Dies at 41 After Battling Rare Cancer
- Arunsi & Ria Sean Team Up On “Set Up”
- Badboy Doings Artiste: Kingskid & Citizen Release New Music “Kodarara”
- #ANYGIVENSUNDAYLIVE: Kwam1, Flavor, Teni, Rema, Fireboy And A Host Of Others Set To Redefine Live Band Experience This December!
- Manchester United Agree Talks with Ralf Rangnick as its Interim Manager
- Bayer Leverkusen 3-2 Celtic: Late Diaby and Andrich strikes dump Hoops out
- Mura 2-1 Tottenham: Spurs’ European hopes uncertain after humiliating defeat
- Rapid Vienna 0-2 West Ham: High-flying Hammers take top spot
- FG Launches Enhanced Electronic Passport In UK To Improve Application Process
- Watch Phyno And D Smoke in “I Do This” Visuals
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News12 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Videos1 year ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes