Shakira says she suffered from depression when she lost her voice due to a vocal cord hemorrhage in 2017. The singer also noted that her relationship with football star Gerard Pique was affected badly.
The Hips Don’t Lie singer was forced to postpone her El Dorado world tour due to the health issue, and feared she’d never be able to sing again.
While recovering, she was left unable to speak, and her enforced silence took its toll on the Barcelona defender, with whom she shares two young children, as it caused them to argue.
“He jokes that you would think you would want your wife to shut up – but when I had to remain quiet, he felt like one of those ex-convicts who are given their freedom and don’t know what to do with it,” the 42-year-old tells The Guardian. “I was not positive. I was so pessimistic. I was a bitter person to be around. Gerard saw the worst of me.”
Explaining how difficult it was to communicate, the Colombian popstar adds: “I had to communicate through signs and nobody could understand me.”
The pop superstar found losing her voice especially tough as she has expressed herself through singing since she was a child.
“I never thought that my voice would leave me, because it’s so inherent to my nature. It was my identity. So when I couldn’t sing, that was unbearable,” she explains. “There were times I couldn’t even get out of bed – I was so depressed.”
Medical experts told her she needed surgery, but she declined, worrying it might make the problem worse. Instead she tried hypnosis and meditation, and even obtained holy water from the Catholic shrine in Lourdes, France to get holy water.
Eventually, her voice returned, a blessing she described as like a “religious experience”.
Shakira subsequently completed her El Dorado trek, and has now signed up to appear at next year’s Super Bowl, alongside Jennifer Lopez.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Tems In “Crazy Tings” Visuals
- Jayson debuts New single “Banger”
- Barcelona 1-0 Dynamo Kiev: Pique gets Koeman’s side off the mark in Champions League
- Spartak Moscow 3-4 Leicester City: Deadly Daka hits four as Foxes win classic
- ‘What is the hope for Nigeria?’ – Media Consultant, Chukwuyem Eledan speaks on Police Brutality in Nigeria
- Amnesty International Reveals Buhari regime is protecting officers who tortured, murdered #EndSARS protesters
- Club Brugge 1-5 Manchester City: Palmer nets as slick visitors win big
- #EndSARS: Lagos Judicial Panel Concludes Sitting, Awards N148.2m To 23 Victims Of Police Brutality
- Paris Saint-Germain 3-2 RB Leipzig: Messi scores twice to complete comeback
- Atletico Madrid 2-3 Liverpool: History-making Salah seals dramatic win after Griezmann red
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News11 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Videos1 year ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes