President Muhammadu Buhari has on Thursday turned down a question regarding when the suspension of the microblogging and social networking service, Twitter, in Nigeria would be lifted.
It would be recalled that last Friday, Minister of information and Tourism, Lai Mohammed, announced the indefinite suspension of Twitter’s operations in the country.
The Minister said the Federal Government has also directed National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to immediately commence the process of licensing all Over-The-Top (OTT) media services and social media operations in Nigeria.
Mohammed later expressed that the government was forced to act because of “the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.”
However, the suspension of Twitter has continued to spark widespread outrage, with many Nigerians condemning the move as well many in other countries.
Meanwhile, when asked on Arise TV when the Twitter suspension would be lifted, Buhari declined to comment, saying he would “keep” the answer to himself.
“I will keep that to myself,” the president said.
The president’s recent suspension of American social media service, Twitter, has been noted by critics as an attempt to suppress freedom of speech.
Amid this, some Nigerians have been skirting around the Twitter restriction by using Virtual Private Networks to conceal their IP addresses, and disguise their Nigerian location.
However, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami, has threatened them with prosecution, but failed to clearly outline the crime committed.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- NEFT, Russian Vodka Brand, Expands Business Operations In Africa; Launches Its ‘Neft Beyond Vodka’ In Nigeria, Africa
- INEC temporarily suspends PVC registration nationwide
- Rema’s Song Features On FIFA 22
- Lyta Finally Reunites with Baby Mama and Son
- New Video: Yemi Alade – Sweety
- Tito Da.Fire appreciates fans with Kokoro Challenge
- Get Ready for a New Dawn at the Olojo Festival 2021
- Barcelona 1-1 Granada: Araujo rescues blundering Blaugrana
- BBNaija: Whitemoney, Pere and four others up for eviction as Emmanuel emerges ultimate veto power holder
- Dollar hits N575 two days after Aboki FX update suspension
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News10 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News3 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects