In South Africa, a fraudulent Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) payment has resulted in a packer at a paint warehouse becoming an instant millionaire.
Tshepang Phohole received a 5.7 million rands (128 million naira) payout from the UIF which was supposed to go to 1,400 workers for lockdown relief. Instead, he and his family allegedly defrauded the state and went on a massive spending spree. The UIF payment was originally meant to go to CSG Resources, a labour brokerage company, but instead, the funds landed up in Phohole’s account.
Thobile Lamati, the director-general of the labour department informed parliament’s standing committee on public accounts on Friday that Phohole created a new profile as an employer using CSG’s UIF number and entered his own banking details into the system. “When the company tried to access the system, they were blocked. They then requested a new password and were given access. They uploaded their employees, but overlooked the changed banking details,” he said.
On the day that the money was paid into Phohole’s account, he transferred the money into a number of different ones according to court documents. R1-million to his father Godfrey Mojela, R980 000 to his sister Itumeleng Masoko, R2.3-million to his brother-in-law Tebogo Masoko and R1.25-million to Taetso Zulu. The following 2 days saw the money being exchanged between the accounts. This was an attempt to obfuscate the source of the funds and confuse investigators.
Court papers reveal that the family used the funds to buy new tombstones for late family members and to renovate a cafe.
His mother, Meisie Mojela, described him as a “good boy” who was caring and compassionate – and who had never before found himself on the wrong side of the law.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Senator Bassey’s house burnt down over COVID-19 palliatives
- Ramos and Alba fit for El Clasico starts
- West Ham 1-1 Manchester City: Foden cancels out Antonio stunner but City struggle again
- Calabar residents invade COVID-19 relief warehouse
- Why we hid 241,787 bags of COVID-19 palliatives from Osun residents – Official
- DJ Switch Gives First Official Statement Since Lekki Tollgate Massacre
- NFF Blasts ‘unpatriotic’ John Ogu over call on Eagles to boycott qualifiers
- 69 Persons Were Killed in #EndSARS Protests – Buhari
- Unfortunate That #EndSARS Protest Was Hijacked and Misdirected, Buhari Tells Former Heads of State
- Buhari Has Ordered Investigation of Lekki Protesters’ Attack, Youth Minister Says
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World