Floyd Mayweather’s most cherished record is no longer his alone after Thai boxer Wanheng Menayothin improved to 50-0 with a fifth-round knockout of Panama’s Leroy Estrada in defense of the WBC minimumweight title he’s held since 2014.
Wanheng, 32, known as the Giant Dwarf, has 18 knockouts among his 50 wins, and his record-tying win comes three years to the day of Mayweather’s ‘fight of the century’ with Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas.
“I thought it would be tougher,” said Wanheng, who defended the 105lb (7.5st) title for the ninth time.
“He is young and fast. But he lost guard early and I took the opportunity. It was easy from then on.”
Wanheng sent Estrada to the floor twice in the second round and again in the fourth in a packed makeshift ring outside the provincial hall in the north-eastern city of Nakhon Ratchasima.
“I was never confident that I was winning as it was a 12-round fight,” Wanheng said. “Now I’m happy that I have matched Mayweather’s record.”
‘Money’ Mayweather, the five-division champion widely regarded as the premier boxer of his era, retired for a second time in August after stopping the two-division UFC champion Conor McGregor in the 10th round of their crossover bout.
The American then moved above Rocky Marciano, the former heavyweight champion who retired with a record of 49-0 in 1956.
Several boxers in the modern era have retired as undefeated champions without even a draw including Joe Calzaghe (46-0) and Sven Ottke (34-0), but only Mayweather has walked away with at least 50 wins and not even a draw.
Wanheng can now make the longest unbeaten streak in boxing his own alone, and he said he’d keep training hard for the next one.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Idahams Enlists Peruzzi & Seyi Shay For “Shima”
- Depay in pole position for Barcelona move, Man Utd want two signings
- Luis Suarez applauds Atletico fighting spirit after Barca switch
- My 2nd Album Is Going To Be One Of My Biggest Project Ever – Yinka Rythmz
- Watford close in on William Troost-Ekong
- ‘The Simpsons’ replaces Hank Azaria with Alex Désert as the Voice of Carl in season 32 premiere
- Tiwa Savage, Gambian Kora Great grace Glo-sponsored African Voices
- Lindelof could pay price for defensive lapses – Solskjaer
- Mendy will have to wait for Chelsea debut – Lampard
- ‘We Determine Those Who Visit Our Country‘ – UK Replies FG
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World