Nigeria on Friday ended the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers unbeaten after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Algeria in Constantine on Friday.
A goal from Hapoel Beer Sheva midfielder, John Ogu, and a converted penalty from Yacine Brahimi ensured the two sides shared the points at the Stade Mohamed Hamlaoui.
The Super Eagles, who had qualified for the Mundial before the match, finished top of Group B with 14 points while the Algerians are last with two points – the North Africans failed to win a match in the qualifiers. The Eagles qualified with a 1-0 victory over Zambia in Uyo in October.
The draw extended the Eagles’ unbeaten run in the World Cup qualifiers since 2005 when they last lost a World Cup qualifier courtesy of a 1-0 defeat to Angola in a Germany 2006 World Cup qualifier in Luanda.
Zambia host Cameroon in the last match of the group on Saturday.
With injuries ruling out six key members of the first team, coach Gernot Rohr made five changes to the starting team, which defeated the Zambia 1-0 in Uyo in October but the Eagles struggled to control the game on a bad pitch in Constantine
The German started Ola Aina, Shehu Abdullahi, Leon Balogun and William Troost-Ekong in defence. Wilfred Ndidi and Ogu were in defensive midfield while Kelechi Iheanacho, Oghenekaro Etebo and Alex Iwobi supported debutant Anthony Nwakaeme in the attack. Ifeanyi Ubah’s Ikechukwu Ezenwa remained in goal.
The Eagles went ahead in the 63rd minute after the ball fell kindly to Ogu from a clearance by Algerian defenders from a corner kick.
But in the 86th minute, Gabonese referee Eric Otogo-Castane pointed to the spot after Abdullahi was adjudged to have fouled Slimani. Brahimi converted the kick to earn a point for the hosts. The Algerians searched for a winner but the Eagles held on for a draw over their bitter rivals
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Bill Clinton charges Nigerian govt to dialogue with #EndSARS protesters
- Nigerian govt owes road contractors N392bn —Fashola
- Skales Lends his Voice to the #EndSARS Protest with New single Titled “Tell Us”
- Nigeria is murdering its citizens – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Zidane calls for calm after Real Madrid stunned by Shakhtar Donetsk
- UK Announces Closure Of Visa Application Centres In Nigeria
- Real Madrid 2-3 Shakhtar Donetsk: Visitors survive ‘nightmare’ to stun LaLiga champions
- United Nations Calls For End To Attack On Peaceful Protesters In Nigeria
- I am embarrassed to have ever supported this bunch of senseless leaders – Gov. Ganduje’s Daughter
- We’re compiling evidences to ensure trial of COAS Tukur Buratai before the International Criminal Court – Femi Falana
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World