Obasanjo believes Buhari has corrupted the EFCC and ICPC by tampering with their operations.
Former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, has accused current president, Muhammadu Buhari, of corrupting the nation’s anti-corruption agencies for his political interests.
When he was first elected president in 2015, Buhari was vocal about ridding the nation of corruption, but has been accused, several times, of only using the anti-corruption campaign to target his political opponents, while shielding his allies.
In an exclusive interview with Premium Times, Obasanjo said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) are no longer independent, as designed, under Buhari.
He said, “I set up two institutions. I came with two laws that were not there before, to fight corruption.
“And those who claim they are fighting corruption today have not brought in anything different. If anything, they have corrupted those two institutions. And the institutions were open and independent.
“I never, never, as president had to say to either the head of ICPC or EFCC, ‘Oh, chase this person.'”
Obasanjo, 82, also warned that Nigeria is being driven towards “disaster and instability and unsustainability” under the current government, as he questioned the pace of the nation’s growth under the former military dictator.
Obasanjo, a former military dictator himself, said there is no confidence in the Nigerian economy anymore because the gains of the past have been squandered through inefficient policies.
The former president has publicly clashed with Buhari several times since January 2018, and backed his former vice president, Atiku Abubakar, against the president in the 2019 presidential election.
However, Buhari, 76, won the election in February and was sworn in for a second term on May 29.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Nigerian troops lose N15 million to Boko Haram in ambush
- Dino Melaye rejects Kogi PDP appointment
- Airline suspends evacuation of Nigerians over South Africa’s restrictions
- Trump confirms death of Osama bin Laden’s son Hamza
- US And Brazil Agree To Amazon Development
- ‘Hit Them, Shoot Them, But Don’t Kill Them’ – Philippines President, Rodrigo Duterte Urges People To Attack Corrupt Officials
- BBNaija 2019: Emmanuel Emenike Got Married While We Were Still Dating – Mercy Reveals
- ‘We’re Special, The World Needs To Deal With It’– Rihanna Tells Black Women
- Paris Saint-Germain 1-0 Strasbourg: Neymar booed but scores stunning winner on Ligue 1 return
- Real Madrid 3-2 Levante: Hazard makes debut as Benzema double secures nervy win
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Celebrities1 year ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
News9 months ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities2 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport8 months ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Community11 months ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!