The Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Buba Marwa has said that about two million drug addicts, representing 16 percent prevalence, are in Kano state.
Marwa made the disclosure when he paid a courtesy visit to the state governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, on Monday, August 30.
Speaking during the meeting, Marwa said
“In Kano State, drug abuse prevalence is 16 percent, that is, in every six persons, one is a drug addict and they are between the ages of 15 years and 64 years.
Kano State has close to two million drug users abusing tramadol, codeine and other cough syrups, rather than cannabis.
I will like to mention here that since I assumed leadership of NDLEA in January, we have seized over two million kilogrammes of assorted drugs, estimated at billions of naira.
Eight thousand people were arrested and 1,600 are now serving jail terms in correctional service facilities, and we are still working.
Drug abuse has gone to the level of destroying our families unless is tackled with all seriousness it deserves,’’ he said.
According to him, the use of drugs fuels criminal activities ranging from banditry to kidnapping and armed robbery, among others. He commended the Kano State government for being a worthy partner in tackling drug abuse.
Marwa urged the state government to make legislation that would prevent politicians from giving drugs to youths. He also urged the government to make legislation on compulsory drug abuse test for intending couples, also as part of measures to fight against drug abuse.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Tems In “Crazy Tings” Visuals
- Jayson debuts New single “Banger”
- Barcelona 1-0 Dynamo Kiev: Pique gets Koeman’s side off the mark in Champions League
- Spartak Moscow 3-4 Leicester City: Deadly Daka hits four as Foxes win classic
- ‘What is the hope for Nigeria?’ – Media Consultant, Chukwuyem Eledan speaks on Police Brutality in Nigeria
- Amnesty International Reveals Buhari regime is protecting officers who tortured, murdered #EndSARS protesters
- Club Brugge 1-5 Manchester City: Palmer nets as slick visitors win big
- #EndSARS: Lagos Judicial Panel Concludes Sitting, Awards N148.2m To 23 Victims Of Police Brutality
- Paris Saint-Germain 3-2 RB Leipzig: Messi scores twice to complete comeback
- Atletico Madrid 2-3 Liverpool: History-making Salah seals dramatic win after Griezmann red
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News11 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Videos1 year ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes