The Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba Usman has revived a notorious unit of the Nigeria Police Force, which was disbanded last year after #EndSARS protests, the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
SARS was notorious for brutality, extrajudicial killings, and human rights abuses.
In a statement obtained by SaharaReporters, the IGP was said to have released new terms and conditions on the operation of SARS officials.
The Police Force also made phone numbers available for citizens to report harassment.
According to Baba Usman, SARS has been reformed and the new rules of engagement are stated below:
“No SARS personnel is allowed to interface in any civil matter.
“They are not allowed to interfere in cybercrime (yahoo yahoo).
“No SARS personnel is allowed to conduct a stop and search exercise unless there is a distress call from victims or members of the public.
“They are not allowed to be involved in commercial matters, debt recovery, (landlord vs tenant issues).
“They are not allowed to interfere in any social/relationship cases (marital matters, boyfriend/girlfriend relationship).
“They are strictly for armed robbery and kidnapping cases!”
Also, citizens are encouraged to report cases of harassment by any of its officials to the following office: DIG, Department of Operations:
08037025670, IGP X-SQUAD 0902 690 0729, 08078662130, 08174041000 – CALLS.
0903 227 8905 – SMS.
0903 562 1377 – WhatsApp
Last October, there were massive protests in some states tagged #EndSARS, largely organised by youths, to call for an end to police brutality.
They also demanded that SARS, a police unit, notorious for human rights abuses, extrajudicial killings, and other atrocities should be disbanded.
But during the protests against police brutality, the Nigeria police unleashed more terror on peaceful protesters in many parts of the country, including at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos, the epicentre of the struggle.
The repressive regime of Muhammadu Buhari was forced to disband SARS.
It thereafter introduced the Special Weapons and Tactics Team, which many Nigerians described as not different from the disbanded SARS.
Meanwhile, the police inspector General, Baba Usman once said the disbandment of SARS had created a vacuum in policing the country.
He added that the morale of police officers in the country had been low since the #EndSARS protests in October 2020.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Tems In “Crazy Tings” Visuals
- Jayson debuts New single “Banger”
- Barcelona 1-0 Dynamo Kiev: Pique gets Koeman’s side off the mark in Champions League
- Spartak Moscow 3-4 Leicester City: Deadly Daka hits four as Foxes win classic
- ‘What is the hope for Nigeria?’ – Media Consultant, Chukwuyem Eledan speaks on Police Brutality in Nigeria
- Amnesty International Reveals Buhari regime is protecting officers who tortured, murdered #EndSARS protesters
- Club Brugge 1-5 Manchester City: Palmer nets as slick visitors win big
- #EndSARS: Lagos Judicial Panel Concludes Sitting, Awards N148.2m To 23 Victims Of Police Brutality
- Paris Saint-Germain 3-2 RB Leipzig: Messi scores twice to complete comeback
- Atletico Madrid 2-3 Liverpool: History-making Salah seals dramatic win after Griezmann red
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News11 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Videos1 year ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes