Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics hit by cyberattack
Olympic officials on Sunday said a cyberattack was responsible for an internet and wifi shutdown during the Pyeongchang Winter Games opening ceremony, but refused to say who was responsible.
Internal systems crashed just before Friday’s ceremony but didn’t disrupt the high-tech gala, which was attended by VIPs including the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and US Vice-President Mike Pence.
Cyber security experts had warned of potential attacks on the Winter Olympics, with both North Korea and Russia touted as possible sources. In January, a malware attack targeted organisations involved with the Olympics.
South Korea’s defence ministry and cybersecurity experts are included in the taskforce investigating Friday’s attack, but the possible culprit is being kept under wraps.
“We are not going to reveal the source,” said Sung Baik-you, spokesman for the Games’ local organisers.
Mark Adams, spokesman for the International Olympic Committee, said it was “normal practice” not to disclose the source as investigations continue.
“At the moment we are making sure that our systems are secure, which they are, so discussing details of it is not helpful,” he said.
“I certainly don’t know who it is, and best industry practice is that you don’t talk about an attack at this stage,” Adams added.
North Korea has been accused of involvement in a number of cyber incidents, including last year’s global “WannaCry” attack — although it slammed the accusation as “absurd”.
Russia has also denied launching any hacking attacks on the Pyeongchang Olympics, where its team is formally banned following the revelation of systemic doping.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- US Delegation Arrives On Time For Tinubu’s Inauguration In Nigeria
- President Buhari’s Farewell Speech On National Television
- Buhari Grants Citizenship To 385 Foreigners
- Tonto Dikeh Complains About Strangers Coming To Her DM To Ask For Job
- YungCN drops Omah Lay produced Single “Play Freestyle”
- On New Single ‘Whateva’, Marz Is Ready To Move On
- Detailmadeit Steps Out With Hustler Anthem, Shashe
- Ipeleng Reveals Why She Struggled To Connect With Blaqboi
- Erling Haaland Wins Premier League Player Of The Season And Also Young Player For The Season
- Sad! Former BBNaija Star, Joseph Ada, Dies In The US
Entertainment News6 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News2 years ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Business News1 year ago
Air Peace Introduces Priority Boarding For Military Personnel
Articles6 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos5 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Videos3 years ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Entertainment News6 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities5 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant