Son Heung-min scored twice as Tottenham beat Red Star Belgrade 4-0 on Wednesday to end their barren away run and close in on a place in the last 16 of the Champions League.
Tottenham kick-started their Group B campaign with a 5-0 triumph when the sides met in London two weeks ago and were again comfortable winners at Rajko Mitic Stadium on Wednesday.
Giovani Lo Celso’s maiden goal for the club was added to by a second-half double from Son, who started for Tottenham just three days on from being left distraught by a challenge that preceded Andre Gomes’ horrific injury in the 1-1 Premier League draw with Everton.
A late fourth was provided by Christian Eriksen as Tottenham won away for the first time since May 8 to move four points ahead of their opponents with two games to play.
Paulo Gazzaniga denied Milan Pavkov with his outstretched leg and that proved to be an important save as Tottenham were ahead 11 minutes later.
A crazy scramble saw Harry Kane’s toe-poke hit the post, Son’s follow up blocked on the line and Kane’s next shot turned against the crossbar by Son from a few yards out, but Lo Celso controlled the loose ball and fired home.
Tottenham survived another scare before half-time as Gazzaniga tipped Rajiv van La Parra’s drive onto the post and Davinson Sanchez inadvertently diverted the ball onto the crossbar in the ensuing melee.
However, Mauricio Pochettino’s side soon took control of the match and added a third on the counter 12 minutes into the second half through Son’s powerful strike past Milan Borjan at his near post.
Son, whose red card for the foul on Gomes last weekend was rescinded on Tuesday, doubled his personal tally three minutes later when turning in Danny Rose’s cross from Tottenham’s left.
Eriksen rounded off the scoring five minutes from time, the substitute holding off his marker before beating Borjan with the aid of a deflection.
What does it mean? Spurs getting up to speed after slow start
Bayern Munich made certain of a place in the next round with victory over Olympiacos in the early kick-off and Tottenham are now strong favourites to join them.
Having taken one point from the first six on offer, it is now two wins on the spin in Europe for Pochettino’s men – and they can qualify with victory at home to Olympiacos later this month.
Lo Celso takes his chance
Not helped by a hip injury, Lo Celso has been restricted to six substitute appearances since arriving from Real Betis in August but impressed on his full debut.
The Argentina international showed great composure amid the mayhem around him to score the opener, making it six goals in eight European outings stemming back to last season’s Europa League campaign.
Marin kept quiet for hosts
Marko Marin created six chances in Red Star’s 5-0 loss in the English capital, but he struggled to get involved in this latest tussle.
He had 51 touches of the ball but did not play a single key pass, which is credit to Tottenham’s holding midfielders for regularly closing him down.
Key Opta facts
– Red Star suffered their heaviest home defeat in European Cup/Champions League history.
– Tottenham have now scored in each of their last 13 Champions League away games – only Chelsea (13 between March 2000 and April 2005) can match such a run by English sides in the competition.
– Spurs have become the first English team to beat Red Star away from home in a Champions League/European Cup tie.
– Son has scored five goals in just four Champions League appearances this season, netting in three straight games for the first time in his career.
– Giovani Lo Celso has scored his sixth goal in his last eight appearances across the Europa League/Champions League, though this was his first for Tottenham.
Tottenham return to Premier League action on Saturday with a home match against Sheffield United, while Red Star are in domestic action against Javor Ivanjica on Sunday.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Swazzi Gets Featured on International Food Show, The “Best Ever Food Review Show”
- New Video: Ugobest – Coronian Doctors
- Skip Marley & H.E.R feature Davido & Oxlade on New Track “Slow Down” (Remix)
- Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande Team up for a New Single “Rain On Me”
- Cynthia Morgan Set To Make A Return In Music, But Needs Fans Help
- Wolfsburg 0-2 Borussia Dortmund: Guerreiro, Hakimi secure scrappy win before Der Klassiker
- Bayern Munich 5-2 Eintracht Frankfurt: Muller and Davies star to tee up tantalising Klassiker
- New Music: Relumae Records – Emergency ft. Tamba Hali x Faithvonic x Pillz x Masterkraft
- Seyi Shay Announces New Instagram Account, After She Was Hacked
- Rotimi Releases Animated Video For “In My Bed” featuring Wale
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News1 year ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities2 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport1 year ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World