Former Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand, has ended his ambition of becoming a professional boxer.
Ferdinand, 39, intended to fight in the cruiserweight division under the guidance of former super-middleweight world champion and Team GB coach, Richie Woodall, as part of a project dubbed “Defender to Contender”.
However, in a statement issued on his Facebook page, Ferdinand announced the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) were not willing to take his application for a boxing license forward.
“Having been training four to five times a week since announcing the aim of achieving a professional boxing licence and stepping into the ring, it is with a heavy heart that I am hanging up my gloves on the Defender to Contender challenge.
“Despite having never felt better physically or mentally, after notifying the British Boxing Board of Control of my intention to apply for a licence, I have received confirmation that they would not be reviewing my application at this point in time.
“To say I’m disappointed by this decision is an understatement. To not be given the chance to demonstrate my ability to the BBBoC through the standard assessment afforded to others is hard to take.
“Boxing is a physically tough, demanding and dangerous sport. I always gave it my utmost respect and never underestimated how difficult it would be.
“I wanted to show people that it’s okay to have a goal and strive to reach it. It’s important to approach everything with success in mind, and to give it your all, but sometimes things work against you,” his statement read.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- UEFA clears fans to return, capacity limit set at 30 per cent
- Liverpool 0-0 Arsenal (4-5 pens): Leno the shoot-out hero as Arteta’s side reach quarters
- Days of rigging are over – police boss
- Rep says each member gets N9.3 million every month
- Ikeja electric suspends new electricity tariff
- Yemi Alade Celebrates Nigeria’s 60th Independence Day with a live rendition of her song “CIA (Criminal in Agbada)
- Police To Punish Officer For Attacking Journalist At Revolution Now Protest – Spokesperson
- Google And Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation Partner To Support Tourism Industry – Launch Tour Nigeria Collection
- First Person To Be Cured Of HIV Dies Of Cancer
- Nicki Minaj and her husband, Kenneth Petty Welcome First Child
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World