Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos state, has signed bill for the Prohibition of Unlawful Societies and Cultism of 2021 into law.
The Governor signed the bill into law at the Lagos government house, Alausa, Ikeja, on Monday.
The new law stipulates a 21-year jail term for anyone found guilty of engaging in cultism-related activities.
It also stipulates a 15-year jail term for anyone found guilty of abetting cultists or who allows his/her premises to be used by cultists as a meeting place.
Sanwo-Olu said the State had suffered the negative effects of unlawful societies and cultism, stressing that the new law sought to make parents more responsible and show more interest in the up-bringing of their children and wards to ensure that they do not become a burden to the society.
In February 2021, the state house of assembly passed the bill, with Mudashiru Obasa, the speaker of the house, saying the house included punishment for parents of cultists found guilty of cultism in the bill.
Obasa stressed that the punishment was to further prohibit unlawful societies and cultism, including “other connected purposes in the state”.
Parents of cultists found guilty of cultism in the state might be liable for punishment.
The anti-cultism law repeals the cultism (prohibition) law of 2007 and provides for more stringent punitive measures.
Sanwo-Olu also signed three other bills into law, which include Lagos state audit service commission (amendment) law of 2019, Lagos state public procurement bill of 2021 and coronavirus pandemic emergency law 2021
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Wizkid And Tems in “Essense” Visuals
- Peruzzi has finally released his highly anticipated second studio album tagged, “Rum & Boogie.”
- Arsenal 1-1 Slavia Prague: Late Holes leveller leaves Gunners with work to do
- Granada 0-2 Manchester United: Rashford and Fernandes give Red Devils edge in Europa League tie
- Bayern Munich 2-3 Paris Saint-Germain: Mbappe double stuns holders
- Porto 0-2 Chelsea: Blues put one foot in semi-finals thanks to Mount and Chilwell
- Mavin Records and Jonzing World premieres the official music video to Rema‘s latest smash hit single “Bounce“.
- Ondo State Born Ayodeji Nelson Daodu awarded at the Erasmus university
- Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: Vinicius pounces on defensive lapses as Los Blancos take first-leg lead
- Manchester City 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Foden edges Guardiola’s men ahead in breathless finale
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes