Scientists at the U.S. University of Southern California (USC), Michelson Centre for Convergent Bioscience and Nagoya University’s Institute of Transformative Bio-Molecules in Japan have developed a new drug that shows potential to stop cancer cells’ growth.
The findings, which were published in the journal Science Advances, indicated that the drug has the potential to stunt the cancer cells’ biological clock.
What the drug does is to interfere with the cancer cells’ metabolism and circadian (24-hour cycle) functions in other to stop their growth without harming healthy cells.
Scientists found that a molecule named GO289 targets an enzyme that controls the cell’s circadian rhythm.
This drug-protein interaction then disrupts the functions of four other proteins that are important for cell growth and survival.
GO289 can jam the cogs of the cell’s circadian clock, slowing its cycles, with little impact to healthy cells, according to the research.
Speaking on the development, Steve Kay, Director of Convergent Biosciences at the USC Michelson Centre, said:
“In some cancers, the disease takes over the circadian clock mechanism and uses it for the evil purpose of helping itself grow.”
“With GO289, we can interfere with those processes and stop the cancer from growing.”
He further expressed optimism about the findings.
“This could become an effective new weapon that kills cancer,” he said.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Taylor Swift, Naomi Campbell, Trevor Noah, Khalid, Emilia Clarke step out for 2019 TIME 100 Gala
- I’m still a Manchester United fan – Blind hopeful of resurgence under Solskjaer
- Paul Pogba has told teammates he wants to leave for Real Madrid
- Chelsea manager Sarri charged by FA
- Prince Harry & Meghan Markle Could Move to an African Country after Birth of their Child
- Bambam Looks Stunning in New Photos for Birthday
- Patrick Vieira Will Become Arsenal Manager In Future – Arsene Wenger
- Ogun State Assembly Renames TASCE, OSCOHTECH, Gateway Polytechnic
- Photos From Kwara Film Festival
- Divine Oduduru Breaks Nigeria’s Record As He Finishes 100m In 9.86 Seconds
Top Posts & Pages
Celebrities11 months ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos1 year ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Entertainment News1 year ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Celebrities1 year ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News5 months ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News7 months ago
2Pac Isn’t Dead I helped Him Fake His Death – British Man
Community6 months ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!