Scientists at the U.S. University of Southern California (USC), Michelson Centre for Convergent Bioscience and Nagoya University’s Institute of Transformative Bio-Molecules in Japan have developed a new drug that shows potential to stop cancer cells’ growth.
The findings, which were published in the journal Science Advances, indicated that the drug has the potential to stunt the cancer cells’ biological clock.
What the drug does is to interfere with the cancer cells’ metabolism and circadian (24-hour cycle) functions in other to stop their growth without harming healthy cells.
Scientists found that a molecule named GO289 targets an enzyme that controls the cell’s circadian rhythm.
This drug-protein interaction then disrupts the functions of four other proteins that are important for cell growth and survival.
GO289 can jam the cogs of the cell’s circadian clock, slowing its cycles, with little impact to healthy cells, according to the research.
Speaking on the development, Steve Kay, Director of Convergent Biosciences at the USC Michelson Centre, said:
“In some cancers, the disease takes over the circadian clock mechanism and uses it for the evil purpose of helping itself grow.”
“With GO289, we can interfere with those processes and stop the cancer from growing.”
He further expressed optimism about the findings.
“This could become an effective new weapon that kills cancer,” he said.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Steve Maduka: Behind the SCENES of Royalhairs
- Burna Boy’s Sister Nissi Hits With Double Dose Singles, “trouble” And “tornado” Off Forthcoming Ep
- Wande Coal would be better than ever, 2020.
- New Music: Biizuace – Mamacita
- FRSC reveals traffic light violators to pay N50,000 from 2020
- Presidency justifies DSS rearrest of ‘person of interest’ Sowore
- Why Actors, Actresses Will Continue To Leave Nigeria —Kenny Odugbemi
- American Rapper Juice Wrld Dies At 21, After Suffering Seizure
- Cardi B Rocks Nigeria’s Green And White During Her Performance
- Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz 2 – Full Fight Highlights 2019
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
News1 year ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities2 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport11 months ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Community1 year ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!