Scientists at the U.S. University of Southern California (USC), Michelson Centre for Convergent Bioscience and Nagoya University’s Institute of Transformative Bio-Molecules in Japan have developed a new drug that shows potential to stop cancer cells’ growth.
The findings, which were published in the journal Science Advances, indicated that the drug has the potential to stunt the cancer cells’ biological clock.
What the drug does is to interfere with the cancer cells’ metabolism and circadian (24-hour cycle) functions in other to stop their growth without harming healthy cells.
Scientists found that a molecule named GO289 targets an enzyme that controls the cell’s circadian rhythm.
This drug-protein interaction then disrupts the functions of four other proteins that are important for cell growth and survival.
GO289 can jam the cogs of the cell’s circadian clock, slowing its cycles, with little impact to healthy cells, according to the research.
Speaking on the development, Steve Kay, Director of Convergent Biosciences at the USC Michelson Centre, said:
“In some cancers, the disease takes over the circadian clock mechanism and uses it for the evil purpose of helping itself grow.”
“With GO289, we can interfere with those processes and stop the cancer from growing.”
He further expressed optimism about the findings.
“This could become an effective new weapon that kills cancer,” he said.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- New Music: Emmani – Die For Love feat. Carter Trillz
- #BBNaija: Frodd And Sir Dee Pull A Birthday Prank On Esther
- Nigerians To Pay More As NERC Approves New Electricity Tariff
- Miyetti Allah Ordered Police to arrest Erring Herdsmen
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson Tops Forbes List of Highest-Paid Actors in 2019
- Pogba, Sanchez and I were Scapegoats at United – Romelu Lukaku
- Oxlade-Chamberlain signs new Liverpool deal
- Real Madrid loan Japan’s Kubo to Mallorca
- Toyin Abraham Unveils Her Baby’s Name
- ‘Paris Hilton Gave Me A Career’ – Kim Kardashian
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Celebrities1 year ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
News9 months ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities1 year ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport8 months ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Community10 months ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!