Algeria booked their spot in the Africa Cup of Nations round of 16 with a dour 1-0 win over Senegal on Thursday.
It was a match billed as a blockbuster between two of the best sides in African football but Youcef Belaili’s second-half goal was the only moment of genuine quality in Cairo.
Even with Riyad Mahrez and Sadio Mane on the pitch, the forgettable Group C encounter was littered with an incredible 53 fouls and devoid of goalmouth action.
The Desert Foxes have now won both of their matches at the tournament under boss Djamel Belmadi.
Algeria striker Baghdad Bounedjah had the two best chances of the opening 45 minutes, initially lobbing goalkeeper Edouard Mendy with an effort that was comfortably cleared by Kalidou Koulibaly, before he saw an effort turned wide by the Senegal shot-stopper.
The action thankfully rose a level in the second half, Sofiane Feghouli fizzing a 48th-minute effort wide in a warning Senegal did not heed.
And the goal came in the very next minute, Feghouli running onto Mahrez’s pass and cutting back from the right-hand side.
Belaili did the rest, taking a touch at the top of the box before rifling a right-footed effort into the back of the net.
Senegal could have won a penalty when it appeared that Mane was fouled, before their first effort on target in the 79th minute nearly produced an equaliser.
Youssouf Sabaly’s long-range strike was parried into the path of Mbaye Diagne but the striker inexplicably nodded wide.
Senegal kept pushing for a leveller and nearly had one when Bounedjah went close to scoring an own goal and Mane then headed a corner over in the dying stages.
But one goal was enough for Algeria, who will now turn their attention to the knockout stages. Senegal’s next task comes against Kenya on Monday.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Police IG Adamu files lawsuit to disband SARS judicial panels across Nigeria
- Spaceship Collective’s Wonderboy, Buju Tye Releases Single ”so Lovely”
- Niyola Talks to Kiki Mordi About New Music After 3 Years Break
- Buhari govt says Nigerians will pay to convert petrol cars to autogas
- Bank documents expose how Amosun wired millions to President Buhari from Ogun State treasury
- Labour begins strike over slashed salaries
- Akin Alabi sponsors House bill to ban road safety Officers from carrying guns
- Nigeria, China Sign Agreement On Counter-Terrorism
- Afghanistan, Taliban Settle For An Interim Agreement
- May God Convert Boko Haram – Pope Francis Reacts To Borno Massacre
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News4 weeks ago
Bank documents expose how Tinubu’s Alpha-Beta moved billions
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World