Ten years after receiving judgement, the Ogoni people of Rivers state are finally getting the dividends of justice after it emerged on Wednesday that Shell Petroleum Company of Nigeria has agreed to pay the compensation awarded them by the court.
SPDCN’s lawyer, Aham Ejelamo (SAN) told a Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday that his client has resolved to pay the money.
The multi-national oil company, Shell Petroleum Company agreed to pay a whopping sum of N45.9B to the people for the loses suffered during oil spillage that ravaged their communities.
The monetary compensation ordered by a Federal High Court ten years ago will be paid to the Ogonis through their lawyer, Chief Lucius Nwosu.
Shell Petroleum Company through its lawyer, Chief A. O Ejelamo, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria announced the decision to pay up the money while addressing Justice Ahmed Ramat Mohammed of the Federal High Court Abuja on Wednesday.
The senior lawyer sought order of Justice Mohammed to permit payment of the debt through the Chief Registrar of the court in a bank account to be opened for the purpose.
Final decision to pay up the money was endorsed by Justice Ahmed Ramat Mohammed of the Federal High court Abuja.
Although the oil company had sought to pay through the Chief Registrar of the court, it was eventually agreed that the amount be paid to the aggrieved people through their lawyer.
The amount was awarded in favour of Ogoni people by Justice Ibrahim Buba of the Lagos division of the Federal High court on June 14, 2010 in his judgment in a suit filed by the Ogoni people.
However, the Ogonis waived the interest on the principal amount as concession agreed upon during reconciliation.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- NEFT, Russian Vodka Brand, Expands Business Operations In Africa; Launches Its ‘Neft Beyond Vodka’ In Nigeria, Africa
- INEC temporarily suspends PVC registration nationwide
- Rema’s Song Features On FIFA 22
- Lyta Finally Reunites with Baby Mama and Son
- New Video: Yemi Alade – Sweety
- Tito Da.Fire appreciates fans with Kokoro Challenge
- Get Ready for a New Dawn at the Olojo Festival 2021
- Barcelona 1-1 Granada: Araujo rescues blundering Blaugrana
- BBNaija: Whitemoney, Pere and four others up for eviction as Emmanuel emerges ultimate veto power holder
- Dollar hits N575 two days after Aboki FX update suspension
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News10 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News3 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects