Communications minister Isa Ali Pantami has approved licenses for public and private agents to conduct enrolment of Nigerians into the national identity database on behalf of the National Identity Management Commission.
At least 173 agents and 30 public institutions, including civil society organisations, small and medium scale enterprises and non-governmental organisations were approved to carry out the exercise. The aim was to meet the deadline set on Tuesday for December 31, when all lines not linked to a national identity number would be deactivated.
Should the government carry out its threat, at least 163 million telephone lines may be blocked in the next two weeks, Peoples Gazette findings showed. It would be impossible to register as many lines in only two weeks.
In October, NIMC announced that it had enrolled and issued NIN to only 42 million Nigerians after more than a decade of launching the registration drive.
The decision to contract the registration to third party merchants in a bid to meet the arbitrary deadline could expose private data, including biometric information, of millions of citizens to those who might not be able to protect such sensitive information.
Neither NIMC nor the communications minister has been able to clarify how Nigerians’ private data would be protected after being handed over to entities without a track record in handling sensitive data on a large scale.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Omawumi is giving her fans some “Bullshit”
- PSG wait for ‘happier’ Neymar to sign contract extension
- Ahmed Musa promise to lead Kano Pillars to win NPFL title
- Waje Releases “Heart Season” EP
- Villarreal 2-1 Dinamo Zagreb (3-1 agg): Emery to face Arsenal as Moreno helps secure semi-final spot
- Slavia Prague 0-4 Arsenal (1-5 agg): Gunners set up Emery reunion after first-half blitz
- Manchester United 2-0 Granada (4-0 agg): Cavani landmark strike as semi-final awaits
- Roma 1-1 Ajax (3-2 agg): Serie A side scrape through to set up Man Utd semi
- Tiwa Savage Covers Allure Magazine’s Latest Issue
- President Buhari Returns From Medical Trip To UK
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes