The 2017 adaptation of Stephen King’s novel is breaking all types of box office records during its opening weekend with a massive $117.2 million in earnings.
The impressive opening gives ‘It’ the third-largest opening weekend of 2017, behind ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.’
“There’s something really special about the story itself, the way the movie was made, and the marketing,” said Jeff Goldstein, distribution chief at Warner Bros. “The stars aligned on this, and we still have some room to grow for the weekend.”
“It” earned a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes of 87% and a B+ CinemaScore. Its gender breakdown is reportedly 51% female and 49% male. About two thirds of the audience has been over 25 years old.
“It’s” opening is mostly unprecedented, crushing the record for largest September debut set by “Hotel Transylvania 2” in 2015 with $48.5 million, and the biggest opening weekend banked by a horror or supernatural film — “Paranormal Activity 3” earned $52.6 million in 2011. When it comes to R-rated movie launches, “It” falls only to “Deadpool,” which changed the game in 2016 with a massive $132.4 million opening. This, during a weekend when Hurricane Irma threatens huge portions of Florida and Georgia, which could dent attendance by as much as 5%.
In addition to its domestic grosses, the horror hit is expected to pull in $62 million from 46 markets overseas, giving “It” a $179 million global debut. That’s a huge win for a movie with an estimated $35 million production budget.
Horror films often have lower budgets than other more CGI-dense blockbusters, so the return on investment has potential to be massive. Goldstein said the genre is one that New Line particularly excels in, and there is potential to see more horror in the future if the right story comes along. “If we were able to find more films in this genre, we’d be thrilled to make them,” he said.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Hillary Clinton Calls on Buhari, Nigerian Army to stop killing peaceful #EndSARS protesters
- Watch the trailer for Chadwick Boseman’s final film, ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’
- Pique, De Jong, Lenglet and Ter Stegen sign contract extensions
- Man Utd top Champions League own goals charts after Martial mistake
- Military shoots #ENDSARS Protesters at Lekki-Ikoyi Tollgate, Lagos as CCTV gets disabled.
- Barcelona 5-1 Ferencvaros: Messi on target as Pique sees red
- Ozil’s Arsenal career all but over after being left out of Premier League squad
- Bayern star Gnabry tests positive for COVID-19
- Chelsea 0-0 Sevilla: Blues kick off Champions League campaign with goalless draw
- Paris Saint-Germain 1-2 Manchester United: Rashford rescues Red Devils again
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World