United Nations has on Wednesday warned that public and private actors are intervening against online content in ways that curtail rights and muzzle criticism.
Peggy Hicks of UN Rights Office in Geneva during a press briefing said;
You see a digital world that is unwelcoming and frequently unsafe for people trying to exercise their rights. You also see a host of government and company responses that risk making the situation worse.
According to a tally by the agency, 40 new laws regulating social media have been adopted around the world in the past two years, with 30 more under examination.
Virtually every country that has adopted laws relating to online content has jeopardised human rights in doing so.
In responding to public pressure to regulate online content, “some governments see such legislation as a way to limit speech they dislike and even silence civil society and critics,” Hicks said.
We can, and should, make the internet a safer place, but it doesn’t need to be at the expense of fundamental rights.
Hicks said the problem of “overbroad or ill-defined language” crossed ideological lines, from Vietnam to Australia, and Bangladesh to Singapore.
She underscored the “critical importance of adopting human rights-based approaches to confronting these challenges,” adding;
We need to sound a loud and persistent alarm, given the tendency for flawed regulations to be cloned, and bad practices to flourish.
Hicks pointed to calls in Britain for stringent regulations in response to online racist attacks against three black England players who missed penalties in Sunday’s Euro 2020 final.
Read Also: FA, Boris Johnson Condemn Racial Abuse Against Saka, Rashford And Sancho Over England Euro 2020 Final Defeat
Also at the briefing was UN human rights officer Marcelo Daher, who urged that “actual people — not algorithms — review complex decisions.”
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Black Wall Street Begins Automatic Withdrawal Of Dividends Acquired Through Investment Points Gained From Regular Product Purchase On Redirect Mall.
- Nigerian music sensation “Danlil” releases his first NFT project
- New Video: Tiwa Savage – Somebody’s Son ft Brandy
- Soyinka, Other Scholars to Headline JP Clark’s First Memorial Literal Feast At UNILAG
- The new DC Superman comes out as bisexual
- #EndSARS: Lagos Police Warn Against Planned One-Year Anniversary Protest
- Bandits Beg For Food in Kaduna after Measures Drive them Hungry
- Muhammadu Buhari has provided a fresh impetus for the take-off of the community policing initiative in Nigeria.
- North Macedonia 0-4 Germany: Werner brace helps secure World Cup spot
- Netherlands 6-0 Gibraltar: Depay at the double as Oranje cruise to big win
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News10 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Videos1 year ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye