Lawmakers in Taiwan have approved a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in a landmark decision that makes the self-ruled island the first place in Asia to pass gay marriage legislation.
The vote came almost two years after the island’s Constitutional Court ruled that the existing law; which said marriage was between a man and a woman was unconstitutional. The panel of judges gave the island’s parliament two years to amend or enact new laws.
On Friday, only a week off the two-year deadline lawmakers in Taiwan’s Legislative Yuan passed a bill making same-sex marriage a reality and it will go into effect on May 24.
Tens of thousands of people braved pouring rain Friday to demonstrate in favor of same-sex marriage outside the parliament, where lawmakers were voting on three draft bills. The successful Cabinet bill was backed by LGBTQ groups, despite the fact it creates a law different to straight marriage.
For instance, under Cabinet’s bill, a Taiwanese person could not marry foreigners from countries where same-sex marriage is not legal. Thousands turned of gay rights activists, many bearing umbrellas, rainbow flags and rainbow placards, gathered in heavy rain in the capital Taipei in support of marriage equality.
Although the island has a large gay community and its annual gay pride parade is the biggest in Asia, the issue of marriage equality has divided Taiwanese society. In a controversial referendum in November last year, 67% voted to reject same-sex marriage.
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- NBA Legend Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash
- Osinbajo reveals importance of VAT increment to economy
- President Buhari reiterates pledge to defeat Boko Haram
- Boko Haram: EU, UN express concern over increasing attacks on aid workers in Nigeria
- ‘Without stable electricity, Nigeria won’t make progress’ – El-Rufai
- Davido is set to Make an Appearance in Toyin Abraham’s “Alakada Reloaded”
- Burna Boy Gave a Thrilling Performance at the Pre-Grammy Party
- Bayern Munich 5-0 Schalke: Rampant win sees Bundesliga champions close the gap
- Hull City 1-2 Chelsea: Blues through after late scare
- Elite Vibez Awards (EVA) Announces Entry For Nominations For Eva 2020
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News1 year ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Sport1 year ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Celebrities2 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Community1 year ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!