Twitter is experimenting with doubling the length of a tweet from 140 characters to 280 characters.
The company wrote in a blog post on Tuesday it was rolling out 280-character limit tweets to “a small group” of users who tweet in languages that may have had issues with trying to fit everything they want to say.
“We understand since many of you have been Tweeting for years, there may be an emotional attachment to 140 characters – we felt it, too,” Twitter product manager Aliza Rosen wrote. “But we tried this, saw the power of what it will do, and fell in love with this new, still brief, constraint.”
Shares of Twitter rose more than 1 percent in extended trading following the news, after declining more than 2 percent during the regular session.
Japanese, Korean and Chinese are excluded from the expanded tweets because the characters allow people to say a lot more with fewer characters. For example, Twitter saw that only 0.4 percent of Japanese character tweets have 140 characters, but 9 percent of all English letter tweets use the entire space. The average Japanese character tweet is 15 characters, but English writers use 34.
“Our research shows us that the character limit is a major cause of frustration for people Tweeting in English, but it is not for those Tweeting in Japanese,” Rosen said. “Also, in all markets, when people don’t have to cram their thoughts into 140 characters and actually have some to spare, we see more people Tweeting – which is awesome!”
Twitter did not answer whether President Donald Trump will be given access to the longer tweets, but said the feature is going out to a “random sample,” so it’s certainly possible.
A tweet from CEO Jack Dorsey shows what the new character limit looks like.
This is a small change, but a big move for us. 140 was an arbitrary choice based on the 160 character SMS limit. Proud of how thoughtful the team has been in solving a real problem people have when trying to tweet. And at the same time maintaining our brevity, speed, and essence! https://t.co/TuHj51MsTu
— jack (@jack) 26 September 2017
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- NFF Confirms Receipt of $1m From FIFA As COVID-19 Palliatives
- Niger State Govt Bans All Forms of Processions And Protests in The State
- No Moron Threatened Me – John Ogu Says After Apologizing For Asking Super Eagles To Boycott AFCON
- Manchester United 5-0 RB Leipzig: Rashford hat-trick secures emphatic victory
- Juventus 0-2 Barcelona: Dembele and Messi decide battle of Group G titans
- Krasnodar 0-4 Chelsea: Ziyech off the mark as Blues return to winning ways
- Neymar off injured in PSG clash with Istanbul Basaksehir
- Istanbul Basaksehir 0-2 Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar injury sours another Kean double
- BET Hip Hop Awards 2020: The Complete Winners List
- Burna Boy performs “Monsters You Made” with Chris Martin at the 2020 BET Hip Hop Awards
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World