The United States Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has warned that the U.S. risks running out of money by October 18.
Ms Yellen’s warnings came as Republicans in the Senate opposed an increase in the borrowing limit.
“At that point, we expect the Treasury would be left with very limited resources that would be depleted quickly,” she said in a letter to Congress. “It is uncertain whether we could continue to meet all the nation’s commitments after that date.”
Ms Yellen repeated her warnings when testifying before the Senate banking committee, saying a default “would undermine confidence in the dollar as the reserve currency, and the interest payments of ordinary Americans on their mortgages and on their cars and on their credit cards would all go up in line with higher Treasury borrowing costs.”
On Monday, Republicans in the Senate voted against a bill slated to raise the U.S. borrowing limit.
The bill was supposed to extend funding for the American government as current funds are projected to run out by September 30. The bill would have extended funding to keep the government open till early December.
In a report by Financial Times, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, John Williams, explained that investors could become “extremely nervous,” leading to an “extreme kind of reaction in markets.”
In the event of lawmakers failing to reach a decision concerning the matter, Moody’s Analytics projected a loss of nearly six million jobs and volatility in stock prices, also projecting a halt in paying federal workers, healthcare benefits, military salaries, tax refunds, and social security checks.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Tems In “Crazy Tings” Visuals
- Jayson debuts New single “Banger”
- Barcelona 1-0 Dynamo Kiev: Pique gets Koeman’s side off the mark in Champions League
- Spartak Moscow 3-4 Leicester City: Deadly Daka hits four as Foxes win classic
- ‘What is the hope for Nigeria?’ – Media Consultant, Chukwuyem Eledan speaks on Police Brutality in Nigeria
- Amnesty International Reveals Buhari regime is protecting officers who tortured, murdered #EndSARS protesters
- Club Brugge 1-5 Manchester City: Palmer nets as slick visitors win big
- #EndSARS: Lagos Judicial Panel Concludes Sitting, Awards N148.2m To 23 Victims Of Police Brutality
- Paris Saint-Germain 3-2 RB Leipzig: Messi scores twice to complete comeback
- Atletico Madrid 2-3 Liverpool: History-making Salah seals dramatic win after Griezmann red
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News4 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News11 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos4 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Videos1 year ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Celebrities4 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes