UN Officially Adds Reggae Music To Its List Of Global Cultural Treasure Worth Protecting
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has added reggae music to its list of cultural institutions worthy of protection and preservation.
Each year, UNESCO adds to its Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity, and Jamaica submitted reggae for consideration earlier this year.
While reggae music has been popularized around the world by artists such as Bob Marley and the Wailers, and sampled by musicians like Kanye West and Jay Z, its inclusion on UNESCO’s list is about showcasing and preserving its distinctly Jamaican history.
The genre now joins a list of over 300 cultural traditions, including numerous musical ones such as Dominican merengue, Slovakian bagpipe music and Vietnamese xoan singing.
Confirming the addition of Reggae music in a statement issued on its website, UNESCO said:
“Its contribution to international discourse on issues of injustice, resistance, love and humanity underscores the dynamics of the element as being at once cerebral, socio-political, sensual and spiritual. The basic social functions of the music – as a vehicle for social commentary, a cathartic practice, and a means of praising God – have not changed, and the music continues to act as a voice for all.”
Reggae music is one of the more high-profile 2018 additions to Unesco’s list. Other newly honored practices from around the world include traditional hand puppetry from Egypt, the love ballad form of music called Dondang Sayang from Malaysia, and Tamboradas drum-playing rituals from Spain.
You can find the full list of over 300 Unesco cultural traditions here.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Yemi Alade appointed as goodwill ambassador for UNDP
- Nigerian doctor Tunji Funsho named one of TIME’s Most Influential People in the world
- Nissi Releases Visuals To Her Title Track ‘ignite’ Off Her Critically Acclaimed E.p ”ignite”.
- Dominic Purcell Says Sixth Season Of Prison Break Is Happening
- Rapper Tay Way Killed After Sharing His Location On Social Media
- Cult Leader Who Claims To Be Jesus Arrested By Russian Security Forces
- COVID-19 threatens Eagles’ friendlies as case rises in Austria
- Man Utd reach League Cup last 16 as coronavirus causes chaos
- Stefflon Don Releases New Music Video “Move”
- Watch Kendickson In the Visuals For “Wayo”
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport2 years ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World