The UN children’s fund has condemned a blast near two schools in Yemen’s rebel-held capital Sana’a that it said “killed 14 children and critically injured 16” this week.
In a statement on Tuesday, UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa, Geert Cappelaere, disclosed that the time of Sunday’s blast was “almost lunchtime and students were in class.”
“The critically injured children, many of whom are fighting for their lives, are now in hospitals in Sana’a. Most are under the age of nine. One girl succumbed to her injuries yesterday morning,” Cappelaere said.
“It is hard to imagine the sheer horror that those children experienced – and the sheer horror and guilt parents may feel for having done what every parent aspires to: sending their children to school,” he added.
“Killing and maiming children are grave violations of children’s rights,” the statement said.
It warned the blast “may further discourage parents to send their children to school.”
On Sunday, the Iran-backed Houthi rebels said at least 11 civilians, mostly students, were killed by Saudi-led coalition bombing of houses and a school in a residential area in Sana’a.
Yemen has been embroiled in a devastating conflict between the Saudi-backed government and the Houthis since late 2014.
The feud has intensified since March 2015, when the Houthis advanced on the government’s temporary capital of Aden, prompting Saudi Arabia and its Sunni allies to start an air campaign against the Shiite group. (dpa/NAN)
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Cuban Singer Veronica Vega Samples Haruna Ishola On “A Million” featuring Quavo
- Yinka Ayefele & Wife Temitope Welcome Triplets
- Niniola talks Leaving Teaching for Music & Where she Gets Inspiration From
- Why I retired Super Eagles – Odion Ighalo
- BBNaija 2019: Khafi And Gedoni Caught Having Sex
- Don Jazzy Believes African artistes on Beyonce’s ‘The Gift’ album may get Grammy’s
- Unstoppable Ibrahimovic nets hat trick in upset win over LAFC
- Algeria crowned champions of Africa for the second time
- Bookmaker company 1xbet strikes deal with fc Barcelona as global partner
- US And Nigeria Sign New Partnership
Top Posts & Pages
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Celebrities1 year ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Entertainment News2 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Photos2 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
News8 months ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities1 year ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
Sport7 months ago
Bournemouth Signs Liverpool Defender Nathaniel Clyne On Loan
Community9 months ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!