The UN children’s fund has condemned a blast near two schools in Yemen’s rebel-held capital Sana’a that it said “killed 14 children and critically injured 16” this week.
In a statement on Tuesday, UNICEF Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa, Geert Cappelaere, disclosed that the time of Sunday’s blast was “almost lunchtime and students were in class.”
“The critically injured children, many of whom are fighting for their lives, are now in hospitals in Sana’a. Most are under the age of nine. One girl succumbed to her injuries yesterday morning,” Cappelaere said.
“It is hard to imagine the sheer horror that those children experienced – and the sheer horror and guilt parents may feel for having done what every parent aspires to: sending their children to school,” he added.
“Killing and maiming children are grave violations of children’s rights,” the statement said.
It warned the blast “may further discourage parents to send their children to school.”
On Sunday, the Iran-backed Houthi rebels said at least 11 civilians, mostly students, were killed by Saudi-led coalition bombing of houses and a school in a residential area in Sana’a.
Yemen has been embroiled in a devastating conflict between the Saudi-backed government and the Houthis since late 2014.
The feud has intensified since March 2015, when the Houthis advanced on the government’s temporary capital of Aden, prompting Saudi Arabia and its Sunni allies to start an air campaign against the Shiite group. (dpa/NAN)
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Taylor Swift, Naomi Campbell, Trevor Noah, Khalid, Emilia Clarke step out for 2019 TIME 100 Gala
- I’m still a Manchester United fan – Blind hopeful of resurgence under Solskjaer
- Paul Pogba has told teammates he wants to leave for Real Madrid
- Chelsea manager Sarri charged by FA
- Prince Harry & Meghan Markle Could Move to an African Country after Birth of their Child
- Bambam Looks Stunning in New Photos for Birthday
- Patrick Vieira Will Become Arsenal Manager In Future – Arsene Wenger
- Ogun State Assembly Renames TASCE, OSCOHTECH, Gateway Polytechnic
- Photos From Kwara Film Festival
- Divine Oduduru Breaks Nigeria’s Record As He Finishes 100m In 9.86 Seconds
Top Posts & Pages
Celebrities11 months ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
Articles2 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos1 year ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Entertainment News1 year ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Celebrities1 year ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News5 months ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News7 months ago
2Pac Isn’t Dead I helped Him Fake His Death – British Man
Community6 months ago
Earn Money Watching Advert Videos Today On PERVIEWPAYS.COM !!