The police on Friday failed to present Omoyele Sowore before a chief magistrate hearing matters around his illegal detention.
The Force Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, which has held the Sahara Reporters publisher and other activists since January 1, failed to present Mr. Sowore as ordered by Wuse Zone 2 Chief Magistrate’s Court hearing his bail application on bogus charges of unlawful assembly and breach of coronavirus safety guidelines.
Peoples Gazette in a conversation with Mr. Sowore’s associates was informed that the police gave lack of vehicles as the reason the defendants were not in court as scheduled. A police source in Abuja told the Gazette in a separate interaction that some ‘technical issues’ were responsible.
Mr. Sowore had initially been remanded at Kuje correctional facility before he was moved upon request to the FCIID headquarters purportedly for better treatment and medical attention.
The activists were arrested on January 1 for staging a peaceful demonstration against bad governance and rising economic hardship in the country. Those who attended the crossover demonstration were about to disperse the scene when police officers, working with secret agents, stormed the venue and arrested some activists while inflicting serious physical injuries on others.
The detention has been roundly condemned as marking yet another brutal suppression of fundamental rights by the Buhari administration.
The government has denied involvement in the arrest, saying law enforcement agencies have independence to prosecute anyone found to have violated the law.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Omawumi is giving her fans some “Bullshit”
- PSG wait for ‘happier’ Neymar to sign contract extension
- Ahmed Musa promise to lead Kano Pillars to win NPFL title
- Waje Releases “Heart Season” EP
- Villarreal 2-1 Dinamo Zagreb (3-1 agg): Emery to face Arsenal as Moreno helps secure semi-final spot
- Slavia Prague 0-4 Arsenal (1-5 agg): Gunners set up Emery reunion after first-half blitz
- Manchester United 2-0 Granada (4-0 agg): Cavani landmark strike as semi-final awaits
- Roma 1-1 Ajax (3-2 agg): Serie A side scrape through to set up Man Utd semi
- Tiwa Savage Covers Allure Magazine’s Latest Issue
- President Buhari Returns From Medical Trip To UK
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes