WHO Declares COVID-19 Is No Longer A Global Health Emergency
Speaking at a conference on Friday, May 5, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he concurs that the public health emergency of international concern, or PHEIC, declaration should end.
“For more than a year the pandemic has been on a downward trend. This trend has allowed most countries to return to life as we knew it before Covid-19,” Tedros said.
“Yesterday, the emergency committee met for the 15th time and recommended to me that I declare an end to the public health emergency of international concern. I have accepted that advice.” he said
The organization declared the Coronavirus outbreak to be a public health emergency of international concern in January 2020, about six weeks before characterizing it as a pandemic.
The United States is set to let its Covid-19 public health emergency end on May 11.
There have been more than 765 million confirmed Covid-19 cases since the start of the pandemic, according to WHO data. Nearly 7 million people have died.
Europe has had the most confirmed cases overall, but the Americas have reported the most deaths. About 1 in 6 total deaths have been in the US.
The statement represents a major step towards ending the pandemic and comes three years after it first declared its highest level of alert over the virus.
Officials said the virus’ death rate had dropped from a peak of more than 100,000 people per week in January 2021 to just over 3,500 on 24 April.
The head of the WHO said at least seven million people died in the pandemic.
But Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that the true figure was “likely” closer to 20 million deaths – nearly three times the official estimate – and he warned that the virus remained a significant threat.
Dr Tedros also said.
“Yesterday, the Emergency Committee met for the 15th time and recommended to me that I declare an end to the public health emergency of international concern. I’ve accepted that advice. It’s therefore with great hope that I declare COVID-19 over as a global health emergency,”
Search The Poise
Recent Posts On The Poise
- On New Single ‘Whateva’, Marz Is Ready To Move On
- Detailmadeit Steps Out With Hustler Anthem, Shashe
- Ipeleng Reveals Why She Struggled To Connect With Blaqboi
- Erling Haaland Wins Premier League Player Of The Season And Also Young Player For The Season
- Sad! Former BBNaija Star, Joseph Ada, Dies In The US
- Roma Willing To Sell Tammy Abraham For €45 Million
- Tyson Fury Confirm He’s Back In Talks With Anthony Joshua For A September Bout
- Bayern Munich Win 10th Bundesliga Title Ahead Of Borussia Dortmund
- UFC Star Molly McCann Shows Off The £40k Rolex Bought For Her By Drake After She ‘Broke His Betting Curse’
- Hilda Baci Reveals Real Reason Why She Extended Cook-A-Thon To 100 Hours
Entertainment News6 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News2 years ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Business News1 year ago
Air Peace Introduces Priority Boarding For Military Personnel
Articles6 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos5 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Videos3 years ago
New Video: KingTurun – Jaiye
Entertainment News6 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities5 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant