Rivers State Government on Saturday says public and private schools are to open on January 4 for normal academic activities, ignoring a second wave of coronavirus that has forced other states to shut schools and other public places.
It was also a breakaway from earlier position of Governor Nyesom Wike, who had on Monday threatened to re-impose lockdown in January, following the increased cases of COVID-19 and the reluctance of churches and trading places to adhere to the compulsory wearing of face masks.
The federal government in December said schools are to remain closed until at least January 18.
Chidi Adiele, Rivers education ministry’s permanent secretary, said in a statement that Mr. Wike has approved the opening of all schools in the state from January 4, adding that it was in line with the school calendar published in August 2020.
Mr. Adiele urged schools to maintain all COVID-19 Protocols, including the wearing of face masks, the use of hand sanitisers and the morning and afternoon classes to avoid overcrowding.
Since December 18 when schools went on the Yuletide holidays, the state has recorded about 258 new cases of COVID-19. A check on the official Twitter handle of the Rivers State Public Health Emergency Operations Center shows.
Federal disease control office predicted on Tuesday that there would be more cases of COVID-19 in January 2021, lamenting a widespread lack of compliance with public safety guidelines throughout the Yuletide.
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Wizkid And Tems in “Essense” Visuals
- Peruzzi has finally released his highly anticipated second studio album tagged, “Rum & Boogie.”
- Arsenal 1-1 Slavia Prague: Late Holes leveller leaves Gunners with work to do
- Granada 0-2 Manchester United: Rashford and Fernandes give Red Devils edge in Europa League tie
- Bayern Munich 2-3 Paris Saint-Germain: Mbappe double stuns holders
- Porto 0-2 Chelsea: Blues put one foot in semi-finals thanks to Mount and Chilwell
- Mavin Records and Jonzing World premieres the official music video to Rema‘s latest smash hit single “Bounce“.
- Ondo State Born Ayodeji Nelson Daodu awarded at the Erasmus university
- Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: Vinicius pounces on defensive lapses as Los Blancos take first-leg lead
- Manchester City 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Foden edges Guardiola’s men ahead in breathless finale
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
News4 months ago
Buhari Reportedly plots retirement of southern Police AIG to clear paths for another IG from northern region
Articles4 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities3 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Entertainment News4 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes