Nyesom Wike, governor of Rivers state, has urged journalists to hold government officials accountable, rather than give them awards on the basis of “friendship”.
Wike made this known on Friday when the national leadership of the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE) paid him a courtesy visit at the government house in Port Harcourt, the Rivers capital.
Wike, in to a statement by Kelvin Ebiri, special assistant to to the governor on media, said there was a need for journalists to put in more efforts as the “strong voice and conscience of the society”.
What I have seen of you is that you praise us and give us award because of relationship or friendship. That’s not the way it should be. Challenge us — the people in authority — and we will sit up to our responsibilities. We will have no choice than to perform and serve the people as it should be.
The Governor stated;
My support for you has to do with the fact that you are supposed to tell the truth of what is happening in Nigeria.
There was a time you were exposing the ills of society. If not for you, certain things will not be known. Assume your role, grow strong again and speak out.
He also commented on the #EndSARS protests, stating that the youth were able to organise themselves without having leaders.
The Governor noted;
If when I castigated the operations of SARS you added your voice, who knows what good that would have achieved. Now look at what has happened. There was EndSARS protest across the country. Nobody knows how the youth were able to organise themselves without a leader.
Up until now, intelligence can’t even know how they did it and who’s behind them. Without good intelligence, how can Nigeria even defeat Boko Haram?
Search The Poise
Promote Your Music
Recent Posts On The Poise
- Watch Femi Kuti In Visuals For Social Concious Single Pà Pá Pà
- Makieba releases new single dubbed “Jericho”
- Watch Tekno “Enjoy” In New Music Video
- Shakhtar Donetsk 2-0 Real Madrid: Spanish champions at risk of dramatic elimination
- Atletico Madrid 1-1 Bayern Munich: Late Muller penalty delays progress for Simeone’s side
- Porto 0-0 Manchester City: Guardiola’s men seal top spot as VAR thwarts Jesus
- Borussia Monchengladbach 2-3 Inter: Lukaku keeps Nerazzurri’s last-16 hopes alive
- Liverpool 1-0 Ajax: Jones winner sees Reds top Champions League group
- Watch Olamide & Bad Boy Timz In The Music Video Of “Loading”
- Senate demands sack of ‘incompetent’ service chiefs
Top Posts & Pages
Entertainment News3 years ago
Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Have Started Hanging Out Again
Articles3 years ago
Marcus Rashford’s Girlfriend Lucia Loi
Photos3 years ago
Leroy Sane’s Girlfriend Candice Brook
Celebrities2 years ago
David Beckham Allegedly Got His Daughter’s Teacher Pregnant
News2 years ago
Nigeria Gets Fresh $200m Loan To Finance Electricity Projects
Celebrities3 years ago
Jesse Lingard Breaks Up With Girlfriend Jena Frumes
News3 weeks ago
Bank documents expose how Tinubu’s Alpha-Beta moved billions
Entertainment News3 years ago
Top 10 Sexiest Young Female Celebrities in The World